Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Safety Tip On Egging

Hungry in Lilburn
Hungry in Lilburn Posts: 756
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I almost killed myself. I managed to get the night off by trading for Sunday. Wanted to cook my two big picnics. Well, I have them going and was sitting inside working on my projects (actually I was watching Woodstock on VH1 and singing along with Sly and the Family Stone) when all of a sudden there is a huge explosion on the deck and I actually see flak flying in the air. My first thought was someone had fired a mortar into my deck! Then I thought maybe someone was shooting at me with a high caliber handgun or a Mossberg. Then it hit me, my egg had exploded! Risking life and limb I ran outside to check on the egg. I then started thinking if this was covered under the warranty. I got outside and found my egg intact. Not seeing any VC lurking behind the pine trees I figured no one was shooting at me. So, I then started acting like a CSI and looked for evidence. Finally, I found the remaining pieces of the handle of an old butane stick lighter that I use to use with the fire cubes! I guess it got to hot from being beside the egg, heated it up and then exploded. I also noticed that the MAPP gas was within six inches of the egg. The tank was hot to the touch and might have been at risk of exploding. I moved the tank to a safer local and let it cool down.

Lesson learned: keep all explosive devices safely away from the egg. They can act like minature bombs!

Comments