Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

lighting time of green egg vs. gasser

Options
Chef
Chef Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone done a test to compare lighting a green egg grill and having it ready to cook on vs. a propane grill? I am trying to convince my cousin to get an egg, but he wants the gas grill for the quit light up.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I haven't had a gasser in 20+ years, so I can't answer your question. But the answer is meaningless anyway. The TASTE is what matters! There is absolutely no comparison.

Welcome to the madhouse! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Chef
    Chef Posts: 7
    Options
    I agree its the taste, and I will wait for it. Here is a direct quote from my cousin after I tried to sell him on the egg, ". I bought my last grill/smoker there when we got married. I am keeping it. Just want the ease of turning on a burner sometimes when we're all hungry and don't want to wait."
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Gassers have their LIMITED uses.Some folks just are not cut out to Egg or Weber or whatever.They are more interested in cookin something fast and getting to other activites.They probably eat take out or microwaved meals most of the time so a gassed meal is a treat to them.Charcoal cooking is more of an art for people who want the BEST! ;)
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Then tell him to save his money and use his stove. :lol:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    Ask him to barbeque something like pork butt. Or compare your spatchcock chicken or wings with his. Let him try some of your smoked trout.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Charcoal grills of any sort, including the BGE arent for those in a hurry, I dont care what anyone says about getting it ready in 15min etc. Gassers are faster. On the occassion I am rushed, I crank up the gas stove with CI skillet.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I typically light my egg and then start preparing the food for cooking. There really is no lost time, just a little planning. The tast comparison isn't even close.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

We all know the advantages of the egg.

With one exception, if the food is ready and one walks out to a gas'r or an egg. It is obvious the gas'r will be ready to cook the food quicker.

The egg has to be prepared, ash out or knocked down, loaded or lump added then the light.

If the egg is ready, I can have my large cooking at 350° and cooking in 10 minutes.

The one exception, using a Weed Burner the egg can be ready faster than a gas'r. Hot and cooking in less than 1 to 2 minutes. Some cooks I don't have to shake the lump/ash or reload. I can usually get 3 to 5 cooks before cleaning or reloading.

GG
  • JasonATI
    JasonATI Posts: 62
    Options
    When i'm cooking something that takes 8-10 hours I will have to fire up the Weber so I don't starve:) If I turn all three burners on it will bury the temp at 600 in less then 10 minutes.
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Options
    If all he cares about is "quick light up", he's a gasser. If he cares about what his food tastes like, and enjoys cooking, he might be a future Egger.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Weber gasser I assume. :sick: I love the Kettles!The gassers have their place as miniscule as it is! ;)
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Here is the best advice I can give:

Gasser: Prep food(15-30 mins.) light gas, cook..

EGG: Light Lump, Prep food(15-30 min), cook.

With a slight shift in the paradigm you have the same time from Raw to Cooked.
  • Bonehead BBQ
    Options
    Hey, whats the square of cardboard trick?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

No need to fan for a quick start.

GG
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Everytime this subject comes up there is always one guy who brags about how fast he can get his Egg up to temp. So what......... Grilling is not about doing it in a hurry.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

8 to 10 hours?

I had to go dig out some notes - in early 2007 I was doing some timed testing on my medium.

Using fresh BGE lump loaded to just above the fire ring, 2 pieces of oil/napkin left and right of center to light.

No fans, but I had plugged a gap around the fire ring & egg wall. It took 13 minutes, no fans, I got the egg stable at 610°. This was at 5,000' elevation and I expect the same results would be a little quicker at lower elevations.

If the objective is a fast light use a weed burner, it only takes a minute.

GG

GG
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    GG,

Your so high :laugh:

How's the weather? We have lakes at almost 60* up northwest MN already. Crazy year and golfing a month early. :woohoo:
  • Bacchus
    Options
    I haven't used my weed burner in over a year, cept for goofing around a little. I can't remember ever a time when I needed to get it stabilized at a certain temp within a certain period of time. All that is about petty competitiveness which accomplishes nothing but a sad display of arrogance.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

It wasn't a matter of bragging, rather than answering the original question.

I had/have a problem with my medium and in 2007 I recorded some temperatures and times when starting. It had nothing to do with trying to get a fast start and I though I would share the information.

I would guess it normally takes me 15 or so minutes to get stable at normal grilling temperatures.

I don't see any problem with someone wanting to get past the lighting part of egg'n quickly. I for one enjoy lighting the egg and sort of doing some bonding with it while it heats up. :) If I want fast I use the flame thrower.

GG
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Kent, you bond with a grill? Okay, it's a nice grill... but it's still just a grill. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ripnem
    Options
    Michael,

No it ain't :angry:
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Hey, I said it was a NICE grill. :lol:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

For the last couple of years I have wanted to take the eggs up to the mountains. It takes some time but I can get to 11,500', I would like to see the egg performs up there.

Right now 49° it will get down to freezing overnight, which reminds me, got to go get the tomato plants & flowers in the garage. The weather guessers are saying we may get some snow. Next week mid 60's to 70's. However, it sure is getting pretty, all the trees are getting some green and the grass is such a vibrant green and growing fast - as green or greener than a brand spank'n new egg. I have got to get the lawnmower out or buy some cattle.

The golfers (die hard's) have had some play days so far this early spring.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Bacchus wrote:
    All that is about petty competitiveness which accomplishes nothing but a sad display of arrogance.

hmmmmm.... when it is -15° without windchill and I am freezing my ass off it has nothing to to with arrogance.

Sort of perplexed as why you feel talking about it is arrogance. Time to light has little to do with a good cook anyway, just a discussion my friend.

Kent
  • Ripnem
    Options
    GG,

Great concept....future dinners doing your chores. :laugh:

Shoot man, I would do that for sure.
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Because everytime someone has to brag about how fast they can get it up to temp. If its 15deg out are you going to stand there even for 10min or go back inside? Prob go back inside, so it doesnt really matter.
  • Ripnem
    Options
    GG,

-15 ;) Phew....I can relate to that. 2009 January was 1 day short of the coldest month in 100 years here. It was my first month of Eggdome and burned 80# of lump. Minor case of OCD. :laugh:
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Ron,

Ever take a breath and think your lungs are freezing? The snot in your nose turns to ice man. He said -15 and now add some wind. It makes your meat freezer feel warm.

A weed burner would be priceless. I need one
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Well if thats the case, it actually take LESS hands on time with a cube than a WB. Open the dome, lite cube and drop it, step back inside.

And no, I have never felt -15deg, but I have felt -5, and it's all relative.

I'm really thinking my time here has run it's course. I was just looking at my membership page, and joined on April 10, 2008. 2 years seems to be it. I have learned some and contributed some. I have made several friends that I hold dear. But there is way to much narcissism to weed through. I really have nothing left to offer, and I will email my friends when I need help.

Bacchus out.
  • Bonehead BBQ
    Options
    can i have your post eggs then?