Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Gasket Question

Options
JM
JM Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just completed installing a new BGE gasket. I cleaned and scraped everything and did not leave anything that would hinder the smooth placement of the gasket. I know I should wait 24 hours before firing up the egg. I tested the seal by placing a piece of paper between the gasket while the lid was closed and pulled on the paper and I noticed that the back part of the lid was sealed very good (the paper was difficult to pull out)- however the front part seemed to have major gaps (the paper came out extremely easy). It does not seem to be sealed evenly around the entire dome. Will this even out once I do my first cook or wait until tomorrow to see if has improved?
JM

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    JM,
    Most likely, I think you will need to loosen the bands, allow the lid and base to seat, and then tighten them back up. See how it is in the morning if you like, then try adjusting the bands.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    JM,
    Most likely, I think you will need to loosen the bands, allow the lid and base to seat, and then tighten them back up. See how it is in the morning if you like, then try adjusting the bands.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • JM
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Thanks for the advice. I think you are probably correct. My only problem with adjusting the band is it appears that when the dealer put the egg together when it was delivered - they used some type of clear silicone or adhesive to attach the band (I am not sure if all of them are assembled this way). Will this be a problem? Also, will I have to replace the screws? They appear bent because they tighten the band to a point where the screws are bent.
    JM

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    JM, actually what you describe as to the "clear" adhesive and the "bent" bolts are both the proper way of doing it. While the loosening and re-seating may help, but that's only if your edges are in the same plane. Otherwise the felt gasket will be toast again in short order. BTW how long has your first felt gasket lasted and how much did your dealer charge for the replacement BGE gasket?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JM
    Options
    RRP,
    My first felt gasket has lasted 3 years. When I purchased the egg (I paid $650 for the Large) I requested that he also include a replacement gasket at no charge. He normally charges around $12 for the gasket.[p]I have read the postson the forum about other options for the gasket but since I already had this one - I figured it should get me through another year. [p]So any suggestions as to how I correct the problem? My edges to appear to line up.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    JM,
    I'd say you have done quite well going 3 years. You're probably one of the guys who could have scrapped off the residue and tried no gasket at all. Now you may have to re-seat as suggested, but it's no big deal.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JM
    Options
    RRP,
    That's about right - virtually no gasket left - but I really didn't have much problems with air leaks. I've used the egg - average 2 times per week (year-round).[p]After sitting overnight - it seems the front is better than it was when I first tested (but still looks like lots of air flow). I'll be smoking a Boston Butt tonight and I'll assess the gasket's performance to determine next steps. Thanks for your help.