Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokey Mountain Smokers BBQ Chicken

Hungry in Lilburn
Hungry in Lilburn Posts: 756
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been experimenting with chicken ever since I got my egg in December. I have had some success but my past recent chicken cooks did not taste so good to me but others said they enjoyed it. But I wasn't satisfied. So today I tried a different approach.

Chicken quarters seasoned with salt, fresh ground pepper and fine garlic powder. Cooked on a raised grid direct at 400. Flipped over at 30 min. Cooked until internal temp of 200. Covered in Smokey Mountain Smokers BBQ Sauce and allowed to set up. Removed.

Absolutely awesome yard bird!
2019-04-22004.jpg

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Good Deal H.I.L., there aren't enough BBQ chicken posts here. I am long overdue for some myself. Thanks for the reminder. Watching an uncle make barbecue chicken on an old cheap grill when I was 10-11 years old was the first thing that interested me in Que.
  • Beautiful.

Why did you go up to 200 instead of 165?
  • Thanks! I was surprised at how good it was. As in I ate it all! LOL!

I bought the new cookbook today, now I got to cook some of the high brow dishes in the book. I really like the looks of the BBQ beans. But I didn't see any applewood bacon in Krogers.
  • I have had a really bad run of bloody chicken. my family gets hysterical if you serve a piece of chicken that is even red, much less bloody. I figured I would take it to 200 and if it was to dry or still bloody then i would just give up on chicken. But it was moist, not bloody and darn tasty! :P
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Killer color on those!! They look friggin great!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Awesome! :woohoo: Chicken at 400°, my favorite way. The sauce looks like it put the chix over the top with flavor. Congrats on a great cook!
  • field hand
    field hand Posts: 420
    My wife is the same way, chicken can't be under cooked. Have to admit I'm the same way to some degree. I usually shoot for the 180's, but 200* is ok.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • Yep, was not dry at 200. Of course this is dark meat. I think I will take the huge breasts up to 180. Frankly, I may just cook the skinless and boneless breasts for the wife. The ones that come on whole chickens these days are so darn big that they take longer to cook.
  • They were amazing! The hickory made them dark and then the SMS BBQ sauce is a rich thick dark as well. I had to nuke the sauce before I put it on to get it to spread easy. We eat with our eyes first so they were very tempting. I am not sure that my camera's flash went off either because the picture was a little dark. I was pressed for time so I just snapped it and then ate it all up! :woohoo:
  • Thanks! The egg gets the credit, it did a great job!