Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Atlanta Eggers-Blues Hawg, Carnivore

Options
Hungry in Lilburn
Hungry in Lilburn Posts: 756
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I went to my local Ace Hardware (Hill's Ace Hardware, Loganville) and talked to Kelly, the guy responsible for selling my wife my egg that I now cook on every day I am off. I asked him about Blues Hawg and Carnivore. He buys Blues Hog somewhere close by and uses it himself. He is going to talk to Blues Hawg about becoming a distributor. Also, he is going to talk to the Carnivore folks and may carry it in stock as well. We may have a local supplier for Blues Hawg and Carnivore right here in Atlanta! Frankly though, it will have to better than the Smokey Mountain Smokers sauce to get me excited. I love the stuff! Will post when I know he has got it in.

Oh, he also had lump in that Ace is packaging. He said it is RO. It sells for $15 for 17 lbs. I bought a bag and will try it.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Don't tell anyone, but we already have a distributor for Carnivore here in the Atlanta area.....the owner of the company lives on the south side of town.

Good news on the Blues Hog. I hope he can get a regular stock. Are you talking about the Ace on Dogwood Dr. right off Ronald Reagan?
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    Really? Does he sell it in a store front? I would drive down there and pick up some Carnivore to try.

Nope, not the one on Dogwood. Those folks are nice enough but they just don't strike me as true eggers. Kelly is an egging man, he knows his stuff inside and out. Hill's Ace Hardware is out 78, about 5 miles. Easy drive. He has actually invited me out to cook on any Saturday that he is doing a demo to learn to cook pizza. Really kewl.

He has some lump in that is Ace Packaged, he said it is RO. $15/17 lbs. I bought a bag and will try it.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    LOL, Carnivore right here in town? No....
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I think I have a couple bottles in my collection if you want to try it. Let me know and I'll see what I can do to get it to you.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    We have it at the BGE store as well. We also have Smoky Mountain Smokers' sauce which is a fair bit better than Blue's Hog.

Allegro out of TN is manufacturing and distributing Blue's Hog now.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Really? I know our local grocery store (Schnucks) carried Blues Hog last year but told me ,Not ANY MORE! :angry: I'll give the SMS a try sometimes.My FAVE is the BH,TN Red!Does'nt Allegro sell a lotta stuff under their name?I'm sure I've seen it in the store.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Good luck on the Blues Hog distributor. I talked to him for 2 years. Luckily I have one in KC.

Mike
  • Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    If your store stocks Alegro, they can get Blues Hog, you just have to let them know it is the same family...Smoky Mountain Smokers is better however....
    Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Well Dang, I guess I need to go get me sum dat SMS since the big shots are talking it up. I'm due for a trip to the Mothership anyway.
  • Hoss
    Options
    I gotta try it,Thanks,I ain't really crazy about the Original BH,But I LOVE the TN Red!This is the first I've heard of that other one-SMS.
  • Hoss
    Options
    I'm with you,first I've heard of it. :unsure: :ermm: :huh:
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    What is the biggest difference Kevin? Why better?

Mike
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    You are so kind! Kelly is going to pick up a few bottles though and get one to me. I really want him to try it and decide if he wants to carry it. I mainly wanted to create a source for all my local eggers to get it if they want it. My small contribution to the local egging community. ;)
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    Bobby, you have Carnivore in the store? I didn't see it when I bought the Smokey Mountain Smokers. I will have to cruise over and pick up a bottle and give it a try. It will have to be very good to be better than SMS. I have tried it on everything, chicken, pork, beef and vegetables. I started to put it on my Rice Krispies this morning but my wife stared me down. My doc thinks I may have an ulcer and has recommended to my wife that I go on a bland diet until I have my endoscopy. I told her I would keep my use of sauce down to just coating the bun for the pulled pork sandwichs. :woohoo:
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    I don't think you will regret it.
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    LOL! Kelly seemed to think he had a connection. I am not really worried, I have always had a propensity to shun products I can't get local. I am an impulse buyer, I usually wait until I want something and then I go buy it. When I buy in advance I always get nervous. Like right now I have two big pork picnics in the fridge and was planning on cooking them Saturday. Now my wife is planning a trip to see the grandsons. I now have buyer's remorse. No way do I have room in my freezer. Can't quit my job and not go to work tonight so I can cook them. Darn it!