Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tonight's Dinner - Chicken Kabobs - First Cook

Options
WhackMaster719
WhackMaster719 Posts: 307
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, it is done. The pristine new egg is just a little dirtier now. :)

Made some chicken kabobs last night and had them sitting in an awesome marinade I like to use (I put it in the recipe section too!). Fired up the BGE for the first time and was able to get the temp to sit right at 375 dome without moving (I was pretty pleased with myself). Dropped on the chicken for 10 minutes a side. They came off perfect and juicy with a wonderful "BBQ" taste that you truly don't get with a gas grill. I'm very happy with the new BGE and look forward to many more cooks and sharing them with everyone. Thanks for all the advice so far, you guys really make a noob feel welcome! Here are some pics since I know you guys like them.

The first light:
2010-04-22170240.jpg

3 FireWires of chicken Kabobs:
2010-04-22172116.jpg

Away they go:
2010-04-22172945.jpg

Off they come for a brief rest:
2010-04-22175100.jpg

Emptied into a bowl with a side of scalloped taters:
2010-04-22175546.jpg

Thanks again everyone! Will be trying RIBS on Saturday. :evil:

Comments

• Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Options
    Man they look awesome! You rocked the first cook big time. Good luck with the ribs, they will come out beautiful. B)
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Your life will never be the same again..course neither will your waist size...LOL....keep it up..good job for a first cook..
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Whacky,

Terrific cook and congratulations! Try putting in more lump next time. You won't get the hot spots. It's not like a Weber where you will burn all the lump you have in there. Check out what you have left when the egg is out.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• WhackMaster719
    Options
    Do you mean put in more charcoal or light multiple sections? I just put the starter in the middle like the video showed.
  • Cheesegghead
    Options
    So that's what the inside of a NEW BGE looks like. Can't remember mine not black! Nice cook. :cheer:
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Whack,

Please don't think I am criticizing here. Do both. Fill the lump to at least the middle of the upper ring (fire ring) Light in multiple spots and get most of the lump going. It will give you a more even heat. The lump isn't wasted it will be there for the next cook. You will need it for your rib cook anyway. :)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• WhackMaster719
    Options
    Didn't think you were criticizing at all. I'm more then open to any sort of constructive assistance. Thanks for the tips! I will add more, wasn't sure if that was enough or not anyways. Can't wait till Sat.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    Looks delicious. Very nice first cook!
  • SmokinInCypress
    Options
    Looks great Whacky and welcome. Great advice Steve, I found myself putting in too little lump the first few cooks and I got a little cool on my first rib cook.

It is amazing how quickly the BGE shuts down.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Awesome first cook!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE