Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

anybody use a product called BarkOff?

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,889
edited November -1 in Off Topic
I keep seeing a product called BarkOff advertised on TV that supposedly stops dogs from barking. It is not the shocker collar type. It's not expensive at all but the sales tactic is what makes me a little suspicious. It's only $10 plus S & H of $7, and then they are presently offering 2 for the price of 1, but the kicker is another $7 S & H charge! Furthermore it can only be ordered by phone with a credit card, but delivery is 3 to 6 weeks!!! Almost sounds like a scam to get credit card numbers.
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    Is that the device that makes a noise that only dogs can hear and only goes off when they bark? If not, how's it work?

Obviously, I dont know anything about this product so I can't help you on whether it's legit or not. Sorry
  • RRP
    Options
    yes - here's their ad you may have seen.

https://www.barkoff.tv/flare/next?tag=im|sm|go|gn&gclid=COzNx6a4lqECFQHX5wodkFxnQA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    mostly dogs bark because they are trying to communicate something to you. exersize, rides in the car, making the dog follow you etc usually works to lessen any barking problems. my bird dog is easy, tell him there is a bunny or mouse in the log pile and he is fully occupied but he gets ansy if he doesnt get his half hour run in the woods each morning or a day on the boat a few times a week.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    Options
    Weather permitting we walk our two Westies 1.5 miles 7 days a week. With their short legs that's a pretty good distance and they sleep a lot afterward. It's just of late one will get the other in a barking jag and it's getting old now that we will soon be leaving the house open then neighbors can hear them. Scolding and swatting them isn't working.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    bark free used to be sold by cabellas, not sure if it still is or not. on amazon the reviews are 50/50, either it works or doesnt, and the bark free units have more options and settings. looks like a gamble. lots of folks think the zapper collars are outright mean, but i would never train another brittany without one, it elliminates yelling and scolding completely (some brits are really sensitve to scolding or even a raised voice)on the lowest setting and after a month the dog getts trained without even batteries in the collar. bet a squirt gun would work on your dogs, amazing what a blast of water can do. :laugh: the brit i have always wants something, food, water, bone, flip, go outside etc and you would have to go and ask all the questions before he would run to the bowl, the door, the bone box etc, now he barks and i say "bark what", it confuses or frustrates him, he huffs and walks away :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Options
    Careful with using water, as some dogs like it. I had a GSP that would bark like crazy, I'd spray her with a garden hose to make her quit. She was a liver colored dog, so in the summer she'd get hot in the sun. She'd bark, I'd spray, and she was happy. I think she trained me.... :blush:
  • RRP
    Options
    At least this suspicion caused me to look at what appear to be more reputable companies and while I spent $78 instead of $24 I feel a lot better. If anyone is interested I bought a battery operated hand held model for in the car, at motels, at the dog park, and walking and a 110V one for home.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    if it works let me know, my brothers border collie is nonstop
    fukahwee maine

• RRP
    Options
    will do, Mike! In the meantime here's the link to the company where I bought the 2 types - you have to scroll around to see their offerings, but what I selected was the Bark Free 110V for 34.95 plus the Dog-Off Pro (battery) for 29.95 - then S & H of 12.95 took the order to $77.85

http://www.ultimatebarkcontrol.com/?gclid=CLW9iJKylqECFUnW5wodxybrNA
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    I have two neighbors who's dogs bark for little or no reason other than to just make noise. I thought about buying some type of "no barking" device but never took the next step to actually purchase it.

When I got my iPhone last year one of the first apps I downloaded was "Dog Whistle" by augware. I got the free version.

http://www.apptism.com/apps/dog-whistle

I've since used it twice. The first time was on some small inside dogs that were left outside to bark during the day. They instantly stopped barking but it could have just been coincidence. I was about 60' feet away with no obstructions.

Yesterday another neighbor's black lab puppy was barking for no reason other than to annoy me. After a couple of hours I had enough and got my iPhone, opened "Dog Whistle" from about 150' away and pressed the button. The dog stopped barking instantly and did not start back up. It could have also been coincidence but I think not. At least I hope not because I will undoubtedly have to apply the signal again tomorrow.

Spring "Quiet Quiet Quiet" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    :whistle: Whew, the title of your post had me concerned. I thought...why would anyone want to keep the bark off their butt when we try so hard to perfect it? :laugh:

AS fara as the dogs, not sure how to help but a friend of mine had to have his dogs "voice box" removed so he couldn't bark. It was pathetic! Here was a great bit ole Great Dane named "General" who was reduced to a whimper :(
  • RRP
    Options
    Back in April I ordered these two products and I'm happy to say they work! They have greatly stopped the nuisance barking. We have not used them if they bark when the meter readers traipse through the yard as we still want them to alert us, and there is still the ruckus when squirrels, coons and possums come in to sight, but there isn't the barking when the command of "no barking" is said. My wife's sister bought just the battery operated one and has had similar luck - sometimes her husband just points the TV remote and the dog stops barking!