Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sliced Pork BBQ

bburd
bburd Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When I was a kid and visited my mom's family in Alabama, we could always get great thinly sliced pork bbq sandwiches...smoky flavor and never dry. Would anyone have any idea what cut of meat might have been used and a method for cooking? I just got my large BGE yesterday, so I could really use some guidance. Thanks in advance.[p]Barbara

Comments

• bigmikej
    bigmikej Posts: 216
    bburd,
    When you cook a boston butt, the internal temperature when you remove it from the egg determines whether you will be able to "pull" it, or will need to slice it. Pulled pork generally comes from an internal temp of 190-205. I have heard that at 180 or so, you can slice it, but I always continue to the "pulled" stage, so don't take this as gospel. IMHO, you render out more of the fat and collagen if you take it to 195-200. I prefer pulled over sliced. Hope this helps!

• bburd,[p]Could be pork loin
  • Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    bigmikej, take the butt to 175-180 internal for slicing. You'll find a lot more unrendered fat, but an incredibly tender and flavorful taste that goes great with your favorite sauce.[p]When I was a student at Bama, there was a restaurant (Smalley-Faire's) that served great sliced Boston Butt smothered in a wonderful thin sauce. It's no longer there, but sometimes when I'm in Tuscaloosa I'll head over to Archibald's in Northport for a rib and sliced pork plate. Pulled pork is my favorite, but sometimes I want the sliced for a change.