Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking

Options
Dimple's Mom
Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've never really smoked my meat much but want to make some meatloaf this weekend using guava wood. How exactly do I go about it? Last time I just threw some of the guava wood onto the lump before I put the meatloaf on. Is that the right way to do it or???

Comments

• Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Options
    Let your smoking wood burn for 20-30 minutes after putting on. You want a clear or blue colored smoke coming out of the egg before putting your meatloaf on. White smoke will impart a bitter taste.
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    i thought that applied to lump? if i waited until my chips had been burning for 20 min they would be burnt up. i haven't had a problem with throwing my chips on and they placing meat.
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Options
    I use chunks not chips (and I don't soak). When it first starts smoking, the smoldering gives off creosote (causes the white smoke). Creosote is what they use to treat railroad ties. At least that's how its all been explained to me. Let it burn until the smoke is clear (actually blue) for a nice clean smoke.
  • wannabebackinTexas
    Options
    Gwen,

That's about it. I drilled a bunch of small holes all over a loaf pan so the smoke gets into the meatloaf well.

See ya' In June!!

Good eggin'
    -paul