Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'd like to share a few pics.. (pic heavy)

highpress
highpress Posts: 694
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First off I'd like to say hi to everyone. I used to post fairly regularly 6 months or so ago. However things have been quite hectic around here. I think i told you guys my wife was pregnant w/our first child. Well, on 2/23 Kelly gave birth to our first child!! It's a boy, Ryan James. He weight 7lbs 4.2ozs. 2 weeks after he was born he got very sick. Turns out it was RSV virus. In adults it's basically a cold, but in infants it can be deadly. He had literally stopped breathing due to conjestion in his nasal passages. He was rushed to hospital where we spent 3 nights and 4 days until he was released. He's fine now. Although he gave mom and dad quite the scare.

I still use the egg at least 2 or 3 times a week. I've just gotten out of the habit of taking pictures of the cooks as time has been short lately and honestly haven't had a real desire to. Although this weekend i had planned on making a pork roulade Saturday and pulled pork on sunday so i made it a point to take some pics.. So here's a few pics of what i've been up to lately.

DSCN0022.jpg
Here's Ryan I think the day after he was born. He weighed 7lbs 4.2oz at birth.

IMG00078.jpg
This is him in the hospital with the RSV virus. he was hooked up to oxygen, hear rate monitor, iv, and a bunch of other stuff. very tough time...

DSCN1629.jpg
Here's my Little Man about 6 weeks old. Sleeping like.. well... a baby.

Ok so here some other pics...
DSCN1649.jpg

DSCN1652.jpg

DSCN1652.jpg
The pork loin was stuffed with aged gryer cheese, spinach, garlic, onion, and was fantastic! Rave reviews. Very easy. LOVE this when having company over. Can prep ahead of time, and a breeze to cook. 350 indirect for about an hour.

DSCN1664.jpg

So after the the pork was done, i let the egg cool and stabalized to 250 dome. Threw on a 8.5 lb butt. I had figured around 16 hours, it was done in about 12 or so. Little bit ahead of schedule, just wrapped in foil and put in cooler. it was best i've ever done. injected with apple juice mixture and rubbed with dizzy dust...

DSCN1666.jpg

Sorry no pic of finished product. I'm ashamed to tell you how much pork just 4 people ate. I served with NC vinegar sauce from HTG and some slaw... just amazing...

DSCN1681.jpg
My other hobby. YES, yes, i know this is not food but what can i say. First 1911 and i'm hooked.

DSCN1679.jpg
My little reloading setup...

Sorry guys for such an extremely long post.. But i wanted to drop by and say hi and just share what i've been up to lately. I still check the forum out when i need help with something as there's a ton of info here if you can find it! Anyways, hope all of you are doing well. Ryan is screaming now so gotta go!

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    thanks for checking back in!! looks like you have been really busy!!

congrats on your future egger he sounds like a real fighter...

some great looking pork!!!

but i know nothing about guns :pinch:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I'm glad to hear your son is doing alright, 36 years ago I had twin girls. They were born 3 months early and weighed 1-1/2 lbs and 1-3/4 lbs. They have since produced 5 grandchildren for us. And we do a little Egg cooking from time to time too, small world. -RP
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Ah Jimmy, Ryan is so beautiful!! Looks like his mom!! :) :laugh: Glad he pulled out of that nasty RSV jazz, that can be nasty for them newbies. Congrats to you and Kelly!!
    Cooks are looking really nice!! Love the reload station.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    GREAT POST! CONGRATS! Really cool pics.Shoot me an e-mail,I am in the process of inheriting a reloading setup that boggles the mind and not a clue how to use it! :blush: :( 1,000's of dies,brass, tons of powder,bullets,tens of thousands of already loaded rounds.Money cannot buy it so I gotta learn how to use it! ;)
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Nice pics all the way around. Many congrats on the baby.

Mike
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Jimmy,

My youngest also had the RSV and we also had the scare. Our little Gavin was so low on fluids and 10-12 different nurses and docs treated him like a damn pin cushion until they could get a vein. :pinch: So glad your little one is still with us. :)

So glad!
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Hey Jimmy, Congrats on Ryan, a fine looking boy and I'm glad he's doing fine, they are a joy. the pork looks great, and I am a 1911 fan/owner also. JMB did a good thing.
    happy egging
  • LoneStarEgg
    LoneStarEgg Posts: 287
    So glad to hear that your son is doing well now. Good looking cooks and hardware.
  • otisdog
    otisdog Posts: 187
    Great photos of the food and your little guy. Amazing what a little one can do to your priorities. We had two grand kids born last year. One spent seven days after birth in ICU which was scary and the other came down with RSV at six months. Not as bad at that age but still scary. May god bless your and your family. I know he has blessed us with our two little ones.
  • Our little Gavin was so low on fluids and 10-12 different nurses and docs treated him like a damn pin cushion until they could get a vein.

Adam, please understand that very small veins become microscopic with dehydration...they were all feeling your pain as they were trying to "get a line" into Gavin :(
  • ;) He's a beauty, Jimmy. Cooks look good, too. Glad you both are "on the Forum." B)
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Kari,

I spent most of the time with his big brother (13 months older) but yes I know they did there darndest to help him. The sad truth is he was a friggin mess of holes. Including his forehead. :pinch:

Miss you :(
  • Adam, I KNOW the pain you still feel, but the head has the best veins in a newborn....and the nerve endings are few...please come to Austin and we will talk. :unsure:
  • Congratulations. Nicely done all the way round.
  • HA! Love the screen name. You would like my license plates.... "CLA KLR". We have a group of us at the office that shoots regularly, although we haven't been out this season yet. :(
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Congratulations all the way around. Ryan sure is cute, I love that 3rd picture and the 9th picture. Oh yes, the food cooks look good too.

GG
  • Capt. Rich
    Capt. Rich Posts: 153
    Jimmy, beautiful baby, congratulations. Pork roll looked awesome as well. Capt. Rich
  • Congratulations to you and your wife on your beautiful baby boy. I'm glad he is over his illness. Our daughter had some issues when she was born but everything was cleared up by 6 months. It is an amazing feeling being a papa isn't it?

I think a mini egg for his first birthday would make a perfect gift....
  • Congrats on the baby boy. With our daughter, we were back in the hospital the day after we brought her home, though it sounds like you had a worse time of it. It sure is heartbreaking to see them hooked up to all those tubes and wires, isn't it? And yeah, they had a tough time with IVs for our little Elly too. But I'm very glad to hear things have worked out for the better. You're in for a fun ride. Our Elly is 16 months old now, and has developed quite the little personality.

Blessings to you, Ryan and your wife. And welcome back.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Jimmy what a beautiful boy, Felicidades to you & your wife
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Congratulations, and I'm glad Ryan is doing well. I am a big fan of the .45 Government model as well, and this is what I carry on duty. That is a nice handloading operation you have there. I see you have a Hornady progressive press, and feed it with Clays and Bullseye powder. While I use a lot of Clays and Tightgroup, I don't use Bulllseye much anymore, as I still have plenty of PowerPistol left. Loading ammo and testing cartridge effectiveness and accuracy is a great father-son activity!
    Oh, and the food don't look half-shabby, either....
  • Congratulations on all counts! I am glad your baby is doing better. My granddaughter had about the same thing happen and gave us a good scare but all is well now.

Cooking on the Egg and reloading are both addicting hobbies. I wish I had more time to do both.

Your food looks delicious.
  • I am so glad your son is OK. It is always scary when your child is sick. Food looks Great Happy that things are better for you now
  • JBUG99999
    JBUG99999 Posts: 263
    Thanks for sharing pictures of your son--congratulations! I'm glad he's recovering well from RSV, that's some nasty stuff in newborns.

Great looking cooks!!! The pork loin inspired me to try a similar version.

We enjoy target shooting, as well. Great hobby!!! I reload, as well. We have a Lee Loadmaster press right now, but we're planning to pick up a Dillon in the few weeks.

Enjoy your time with the little one!
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Thank God Ryan is OK now, they can really give ya quite a scare, as you already know B)
  • Glad to hear your son is doing well! Being dad comes before all else! I had 3 sons and I can tell you that nothing matches the joy of children! Not even a good smoke ring! ;)
  • Congratulations on the birth of your son! It is just incredible how fast they grow up. Enjoy it.

The pork looks great - thanks for telling us what you've been up to.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • highpress
    highpress Posts: 694
    for the kind words. It is very much appreciated. And yes, having a child is an amazing experience. I will try to check in a little more often. Just haven't had the time like i normally do in the evenings. You guys are great, thanks again. I must say this forum and its members are fantastic.