Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ditto: Eggceptional

Dr. Chicken
Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Gfw & Hanker'n2grill,
Outstanding and delicious! Definitely, this marinade recipe will be a "keeper" and frequently used!
I marinated (3) 2" thick sirloins from a whole sirloin in a bag. I cut them myself, so I could be sure of the thickness. Unfortunately, I got antsy and could not wait the recommended 48 hrs. I put them on the Egg at 660 degrees just over 24 hrs after I first put them in the marinade. They were great, but IMHO, I think they would have been better at 40 to 48 hrs of marinating. Hank suggested 48 hrs marinating time too! I seared them 3 & 3 @ 650 and then closed everything down for 8 minutes. I wish I could take & send pic's like Gordon & Tim. They were perfect for me at rare. Imagine a different shape than the NY strips Gfw had on his post, and you've got mine! A little too rare for my "better half"! She tolerated it though and still said they were "Eggcellent"! [p]I cut some rib-eye steaks the other day at 1 1/2" thick. (I bought a boneless rib roast (17 1/2 lbs) and cut (2) rib-roasts for prime rib and the rest into steaks.) I think 2 of them baby's (both of them average 36 ounces a piece) will be the target of "Hank's" marinade the next time! If the marinade works this well on sirloins even though I rushed it, think what it will be like on a "prime" cut such as rib-eyes, marinated for the proper time length! Gfw jumped me on this one by a couple of weeks, doing the NY strips tonight! But, he has the right idea! Like I said earlier, "brilliant minds think alike!"[p]I'm fuller than a tick! Thanks Hank! I really appreciate the recipe and the guidance in putting it together! One of these weekends, we need to get together for a "mini" E2K! We could do it right on Lance's front step! He'd sell 100 of these little green machines just from the aromatic vapors! Show some of his staff what a real money maker they've been passing up! :^)))[p]Dr. Chicken

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Dr. Chicken, really glad to hear of your success! As you said, this marinate is a definate keeper!

• Dr. Chicken, Regarding the marinade TIME...I was recently reading The Barbecue Bible, and the author pointed out that we Americans are rather timid in our marinade practices...other cultures that use marinades will use much longer times...they keep the meats in the marinades for 2 or three days. Intersesting observation...

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Patrick in Minnesota,[p]Interesting, here in the US if we keep something in a marinade for 2-3 days we call it Brining, another name for a long marinade I guess. However, I'm very fond of both processes, regardless of the name.[p]OK Doc, lets not get caught up in that name thing again, brining, marinade, call it what you will. hehehe[p]Troy
  • Dr. Chicken
    sprinter,
    Do I call my wife my girl friend? Or do I call my girl friend my wife? Decisions! Decisions![p]I know, I'll ask my wife! Or, maybe I should ask my girl friend? Woe is me!!! (Yuk! Yuk! Yuuukkk! :^))))[p]I couldn't resist that one![p]Dr. Chicken

• Dr. Chicken
    Patrick in Minnesota,
    I think you are probably 1000% right! I shortened the time, 'cause I could taste them baby's in my sleep! I've wanted to try it for quite some time and I finally got everything together to give it a try. I am envious of Gordon (Gfw) because he tried some better cuts with the marinade last night. Those NY strips (they call 'em Kansas City strips out here!)sure looked scrumptious last night! One of these days he & I are gona get together like Tim & Nature Boy did! Man that would be wild! We would cook up a storm! All good too, thanks to our trusty Eggs! [p]
    Dr. Chicken[p]p.s.: Thanks for your input Patrick! I listen to what folks like you and others on the forum have to say, whether they are "Oldies but moldy's" or "newbie's"! The information and experience available to anyone visiting the forum is awsome! We can all learn from each other, and I hope it stays that way forever!