Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just got my Looftlighter!

Options
QCA Egger
QCA Egger Posts: 34
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wow, is this thing cool! Check it out www.looftlighter.com

Comments

• Chef Charles
    Options
    Somebody was mentioning this toy a while back. It is made in Sweden yet after a quick search, I discovered that my dealer in town sells it although it is not cheap.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Don Marco
    Don Marco Posts: 287
    Options
    I´ve been using mine for over 2 years now, awesome tool especially for lighting ceramic grills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow7Lm6_bCf0

DM
    www.don-marcos-bbq.de
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    that makes me wonder why I couldn't just use my heat gun which is capable of 1,500° to start my eggs in a hurry. Looks to me like that's all that Looftligher is - an electric heat gun - of course a glance at your electric meter spinning out of control might make you think twice!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Don Marco
    Don Marco Posts: 287
    Options
    You cant compare the Looftlighter with a regular heat gun, the design is made especially for lighting charcoal instead of just blowing hot air. A heat gun works, but not nearly as good as the looftlighter. ( + it comes with an integrated bottle opener :woohoo: )

Regarding the power consumption, since you only need that unit for 60 to 90 seconds the power bill will not be noticeably increased and this still is a cheaper, cleamer and faster way to light than the regular starter cubes.

DM
    www.don-marcos-bbq.de
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    The price, energy use or if it even works does not matter...It has a built in bottle opener...We will buy it. LOL
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • boston_stoker
    Options
    Has anyone used this and a Mapp torch? How do they compare to each other?
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I think the big advantage to the mapp torch is not having to run an electric cord to the unit. On the other hand I have run out of mapp gas...
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Options
    Bottle opener too? Buying one now :evil:
  • Chappy
    Chappy Posts: 198
    Options
    I love mine. Here is some advice that I have learned and will pass down.

Once you see sparks, back it up. If you leave it there too long, it will start to melt the metal at the end. Mine looks a little "moth eaten" at the end now, still works the same.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    This thing was being tossed around the forum when I first joined. It reminded me of my paint remover heat gun...so I tried it and it worked. But No Electric cords for me so I put it away. It still looks like a paint stripper gun to me...same principle...now I have to go see if my stripper gun survived the move and try it again!
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    I'll second that melting comment. If one gets distracted by thebeer you've just opened it's all too easy to forget to maintain a distance and the (aluminium) shielding turns to tin foil.
    Still works great if you have a mains lead long enough ( and can bebothered getting it out).
    I haven't dared attempt the bottle opener once the unit is hot! Whoever thouht that one up!!
    The great advantage isthe combination of heat AND air beyond thepure heat ofthe mapp/ propane. This gets the coalsgoing really well.