Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you make a mapp gas starter

Options
APDHARLEY
APDHARLEY Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Guys,
I am sure that there are alot of you eggheads out there that use mapp torch to light you Eggs. I have the tank now Ineed some plans or directions on how to make the wand. I have seen the 5 in 1 BBQ tool on the BBQ guru. I think with a little help from you guys I could build a similar attachment just for lighting the Egg that does not cost $35. All help is appreciated.
Keith

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I have one of the golf club types that has been used only a few times and has been in the garage unused for 3 years. $20 which includes freight in the USA 48 and it is yours. Email me off line in and telephone and I will tell you more. Great product for the right environment. This has been my solution for the last 6 years.

100_2162.jpg
  • Mahi-Mahi
    Mahi-Mahi Posts: 162
    Options
    Make sure what ever you use it rated for MAPP. It runs at a lot higher temp than a normal hand torch.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    When it comes to pressurized flammable bottles. I would stick with pre-manufactured items. Preferably ones with UL listings.

I am all for building things and modifying different products but when it comes to gas cylinders I'd stick with the tried and true.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    I agree with Mike in Abita 100%.Get one of these or buy Richards :)

DSC_0019-3.jpg
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    $35 is about the cheapest accessory you can BUY for the egg. Plus, when I bought the kit, I felt pretty comfortable that it wouldn't blow up in my face! :lol: So far, so good.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    I made this from a piece of 1/2 s.s. tubing I "found" at work. I have gotten some grief on here about safety, but I have been using it for two years with no problems. Two other guys at work have made them also with no problems also. I use propane instead of mapp.
    IMG_8122-1.jpg
  • Always Smokin
    Options
    I use a burns o matic torch tip nothing fancy. just push the button and it lights. I used it yesterday just lit the top center of my lump for about 15 seconds and cooked for 26 hours
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    I have been having trouble with my same setup. For some reason the gas doesn't want to light. Idea?