Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cortisone shots

Options
ranger ray
ranger ray Posts: 812
edited November -1 in Off Topic
i dislocated my big toe socket at the base,,,,( i thought it was just sprained).. walked around for a year like that....as luck would have it... i asked my chiropractor if he knew anything about feet.... he said he didn't know too much but would be willing to take a look.... anyway , he asked me how long has it been that "swollen?"( a year) .... he said , "dude your big toe's dislocated"... he yanked on it .... i screamed! ... it went back in to the socket and it's slowly getting better( 2 years later).... but it still hurts with every step i take...any suggestions for pain/ healing? i cut firewood all and spend a lot of time in the woods.... when i step on rocks/ boulders it kills me when the toe is bent back....some pals say acupuncture will help... others say cortisone .... so far... i've been self medicating with whiskey and ibuprofen.... any thoughts?.... i'm too young to be walking with a limp! lol... thanks! ....."is there a doctor in the house??".... flashbacks of bugs bunny and daffy duck .... those were the days... eh? thanks! ray

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Ray,

I've never had cortisone injections but I know guys that have. They say they get three months or so relief and the pain comes back worse than before.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Here's a novel idea. Go see a GP or podiatrist.

Your toe hurts for a year, then you chiropracter yanks on your toe, another year passes, it still hurts and you haven't yet gone to a real doc?

Cortisone is not the answer. They hurt like hell for a few hours, then the pain fades, but all it does is mask the problem so you walk normally, doing more damage to the joint because you can't feel the pain. I've had three knee surgeries to fix what cortisone didn't.
  • hobbling around with a swollen foot for a year, self-medicating, chiropractor, acupuncture, and swinging a dead chicken over your head haven't seemed to work.

how about an actual doctor trained in something other than voodoo?

hahahaha
    sorry. sometimes i just gotta ask the obvious question
  • LFGEnergy
    LFGEnergy Posts: 618
    Options
    The other thing to be careful of doctors throwing Cortisone shots around is the stuff is like battery acid on cartiledge. It has to be used very carefully, as the longer term damage to cartiledge can outweigh the short term benefit. This is from experience with shots in neck and knees (wrestling was hard on this body).

Have to agree with other posts though....several years with a sore toe might just qualify as needing a doctor's appointment!! But then letting your Chiropractor(God bless him), who told you he does not work on toes, pull on the dang thing is like your auto mechanic telling you he doesn't rebuild transmissions and then his cracking your case just to see what might happen :ohmy: :blink: :whistle:. A toe that had been dislocated that long may have had tendon damage, scar tissue, and other things a doctor might have considered before pulling on it like some overzealous high school football coach.

Good luck!!!

Dave in Keller, TX
  • ranger ray
    Options
    hi guys i appreciate the advice.... maybe i 'll go see the orthopedic doc who fixed my leg.... my ankle was dislocated with a compound fracture; the tib/fib were broken in 16 places.... my time in the hundred dash is not quite as good but i can walk and run just fine....i won't even go into the 3rd degree shoulder separation or the stab and gunshot wound...oh.... thanks! i appreciate it!
  • FatMike
    FatMike Posts: 464
    Options
    Hmm..I'm not a RD (real doctor) Just a DC (chiropractor) and must have missed the Voodoo classes. I have Spatchcocked a few chicken in my day but never spun them over my head. It amazes me how uninformed and misguided some people are of what we actually do and how we do it. I especially like the visits from the MD's 30 minutes after we close so no one sees them. Too funny...Kinda like saying your big green eggs is nothing but an expensive heavy grill..lol
  • Fidel
    Options
    Take offense if you must, my reply was not meant to be confrontational. I visit a chiropractor frequently and have for years. They are great at what they do...but I wouldn't make a DC my first choice when I have problems with a joint in my foot.

I apologize for the "real doc" comment. It wasn't intended as an affront to your profession and I chose my words poorly.

That said, I hope you aren't claiming that a DC is the proper person to consult when you have foot problems. You seem to imply by your comments that a chiropractor is sufficiently trained to diagnose and treat problems like ranger ray described in his original post.
  • i should apologize too. i didn't mean to equate chiropractors with voo-doo (but that's what i effectively did). i just got on a roll responding to his list of trials and tribulations. i was essentially gobsmacked by the idea someone would endure 2 years of pain, self-medicate, consider acupuncture, and then come here (a bbq foum) before talking to his MD or a podiatrist.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    you havent tried shooting your other foot to see if your big toe will feel better :laugh: go see your doctor, lots of bad things can happen to feet, my sister was off hers when young from too much muscle built up for all things, they actually sliced the excess out. if your walking funny for too long you could be doing damage to hips knees etc
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ranger ray
    Options
    hey guys ... i went to see a podiatrist last week.... he gave me a shot of cortisone and told me that the injured area has an onset of arthritis.....i have been involved in martial arts for many years and have been injuring that that poor toe since i was 18.... the pain has subsided substantially....but i'm not optimistic... have any of you guys had any luck with acupuncture(this should stir the pot...lol)...what is the viability of a surgical repair? .... thanks! ray
  • being an anonymous member of a barbecue forum, i feel confident saying that the viability of a surgical solution is next to nothing, and that acupuncture will take care of it entirely. :huh:
  • Fidel
    Options
    It's a good thing you aren't much of a ballbuster