Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Yield Information

civil eggineer
civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a medium BGE and was roped into cooking for a graduation party of 200 and a family reunion of 80 recently. Being an engineer and somewhat anul, I have tracked the pre-cooked weight to the finshed bagged meat weight. It has generally ran between 44% and 47% with the smaller butts yielding slightly more finished meat on a percentage basis. I have also determined you get about 5 large butt sandwiches per pound.

Did my 5th double butt cook last night and only have 3 more double cooks to go. Since I do not have a food license I am only charging cost of meat, lump, etc. Hoping to get some tips to put towards a second egg.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Yeah, we sort of plan on 16 to 20 sandwiches per 8 pound butt, but I serve a slaw topping for them which buffers the amount of the meat sometimes. It still doesn't prevent big eaters from having two. :laugh:

4337294d.jpg

Two tips I've learned is to buy the small buns, or the Texas Toast loaves. And not to use the full sized paper plates. This helps control portions. On any bigger parties I help out with, the sides are all self serve but the meat table has a dedicated cutter and server.... and it's at the end of the line. This way the plate is mostly full by this time, and the meat doesn't have a chance to cool off to much.

As far as licensing goes, if you are charging for anything you technically need a permit. Private parties have certain exceptions. My gigs are mostly all freebies or business related promotions and I'm noticing that even the volunteer events (like a feed for a school football team or a church group)are now getting visits from the health department. They are most concerned about the home kitchens that the sides are prepared in, not the foods we're cooking on site.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    About one year ago here in my community the county health dept raided the local civic centers monthly "Bring a covered dish" get-together.
    Pretty soon we will need a permit to feed our families! :S

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

When you are using that as a guide do you care if the cut is boneless or bone in?

GG
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Okay, as a fellow engineering geek, is that a 44-47% loss or a 44-47% yield? :P
  • civil eggineer
    Should have clarified that the "yield" is with bone in butts purchased from Sam's Club. Last nights cook yielded 53% but I reintroduced a lot of the drippings that were caught in the drip pan. They were also smaller, around the 6 lb size range.
  • civil eggineer
    At least you understand my affliction. I will say margarita's seem to temporarily reduce my pain if taken in sufficient dosage. :blink:
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Thirdeye,

I was making a couple of butts last year and asked a few people at work if they wanted me to put one on for them. One girl, who's husband is a chef, asked me to do two for a party they were having. I heard later that one guy ate eleven sandwiches.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• thirdeye
    DSC07096.jpg

You got me on that one Kent. I'm sure I've barbecued a boneless butt before, but I can't remember the last time.... I always cook the whole ones and the two packs I get usually come in really close to 16 pounds.

So, yes you will get more yield from a boneless one, no bone and usually less fat to deal with.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    Heheee. Well that boy would certainly throw off the calculation.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~