Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked BGE

Options
JermanJiant
JermanJiant Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've heard the BGE supports their grills/smokers for lifetime. Take a look at the attached pics.. Will they replace this mousehole piece?

Photo Link
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sailcarolinadreamer/4531316606/

Comments

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    It appears that your firebox is cracked and yes it is covered under warranty. They routinely experience cracking and you can continue to use it for some time. You can also use JB Weld to glue the pieces together which further extends its usefulness. BGE has recently included a sawed cut through the firebox to allow for the thermal expansion which is causing the problem. Hasn't been around long enough to see if this solves the cracking issue.
  • Acoustic Blues
    Options
    Send your pics over to customer service at the Mothership. They're the ones to answer your question
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Are you the original owner or did you purchase it second hand?

The firebox is covered under warranty if you are the original owner.
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    Call the dealer you got it from. They should be able to take care of it for you.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Your dealer should be able to get it for you (or have in stock) with no shipping charge. Mine will anyway. If you call BGE direct, I'm pretty sure they will charge for shipping.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    I'd be more concerned about the base unit...the picture looks like it is cracked or is that just dirt or something else?
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    My firebox cracked several times over the course of 4 years or so, but it wasn't a problem, I was able to take it out for general cleaning, moving the egg, etc. When it finally became unstable, my dealer replaced it on the spot with one he had in his store. So, yes it's covered under warantee, whenever you decide to have it replaced. It also pays to support and to get to know your dealer.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    no offense, but you might want to check your security or privacy settings there on Flicker - your entire lengthy album of family pictures were easily accessible by merely clicking. Not that you had any embarrassing ones, but some people don't like sharing their kids pictures.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Options
    I received a saw cut firebox in 2006 after reporting that my original box cracked into so many pieces that I could not use it. It was unstable. The saw cut firebox was a good replacement. I'm still using it for going on 4 years now, but it is cracked in two places. It is not broken, just the two cracks. The thing I worry about is picking it up to remove it from the egg during routine clean outs. You can feel it's unstable and I fear one of these days it will break apart.

The cracks run horizontally between the round air holes instead of vertically as in an uncut firebox. I think if they cast these boxes over a wire lath mesh as you would put steel rebar in concrete, it would be a good remedy to this cracking and breaking apart.

BGE is very good about replacing their products when they do break and become un-useable. It's a shame the nature of the product isn't more resistant to breaks and cracks... it would be better for both parties involved if so!
    Cheers...