Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Ribs

Options
JasonATI
JasonATI Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did some ribs with DP dizzy dust, sugar in the raw and a drip pan of apple juice. I really liked the flavor but think they could have been a little more tender.

mms_pictureribs.jpg

Comments

• rubywoofs
    Options
    New to Eggs, but lot of experience with ribs. If they're not tender, you didn't smoke them long enough. Connective tissue needs time at the right temp (225-250) to break down. It's my understanding (here's where I'm new) that the egg doesn't need the juice in the pan. Maybe your temp was too high, which means short cook time, and the juice kept them from drying at the high temp?

Anyway, on the Egg or some lesser method, the right temp for long enough = tender. Those babybacks or spare? Babybacks (other methods - doing my first on the egg tonight, too) 4-5.5 hrs, spare a little longer.

Good luck,

Rube (Ruby is my dog's name, by the way, and she woofs a lot!)
  • rubywoofs
    Options
    Oh, and the connective tissue breaking down and fat rendering adds moisture, so . . .
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

yup, rubywoofs is correct. Use the bend method to test as your racks were cut use a fast read thermometer or the old fashion way, bone twist or use a toothpick to check for tenderness.

Your ribs look pretty darn good though, congratulations.

GG
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    like most things there are several ways to get the job done. One method that you will see and hear often on this board is the 3/1/1.5 method or some variation on it. The one thing to remember is the best ribs are the ones YOU like - not what WE like.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JasonATI
    JasonATI Posts: 62
    Options
    I did them for 4 hours in the rack then an hour basting and flipping every 15 minutes, the dome temp was at 250-260 the whole time.
    I just expected to be able to twist and the bone would just release from the meat.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    That would actually be over-cooked. You want the meat to 'bite' from the bones....not 'fall off' of the bones. Sounds like you were probably right on. "fall off" the bones is way overcooked.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Jason,

For Baby Backs, one of the best techniques is "Carwash Mikes Baby Back Class on Thirdeye's web site. Link below:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/06/baby-back-rib-class.html

Liquid in a drip pan can sometimes negatively affect a cook when using an Egg. The water can only reach 212* for one thing which might affect your cooking temp. It also takes considerable energy to heat and maintain the water temp, stealing some of that energy from your cook. The Egg has great moisture-retention properties.

Spares take longer to cook that Baby backs.

You can cook at a very low temp for about 4 hours to increase the smoke absorption, then kick up the temp to break down the collagen and use the "drooping" test to determine doneness.

They look great. Sorry they weren't cooked to your preference, but I'll bet the next rack will be right on ! :woohoo:
  • BayouMark
    BayouMark Posts: 284
    Options
    Suggestion: Try the three two one method. It's foolproof. 250 dome raised indirect for three hours then wrapped same set up for two hrs unwrapped and sauced for an hour. Rest for 15 mins and enjoy :woohoo: