Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt cooking quickly

Options
Buxwheat
Buxwheat Posts: 727
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put a 9.5 pounder on at 3PM. Had the egg stabilized at 250° with the meat on for 3 hours. Went to the airport at 6 to pick up my daughter and got back (after a trip to the Varsity) at 9:30 and the dome was up to 275° and meat temp at 165°. Been able to get the heat down some but concerned that this may end up one of those "Turbo Butts" that cook in a hurry. Dinner is at 3PM tomorrow so I gave myself 24 hrs to make sure that it got done in time and still have a couple hours for resting. Sure hope this one doesn't get done in the middle of the night.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

The plateau takes a long time but figuring an hour per pound is 9 hours and 1.5 hrs per pound 13.5 hours.

It is pretty easy to wrap and hold for 5 to 7 hours but after that you will be re-heating.

If you have to end up reheating use some coke (not diet) if you need to get a little more moisture in the pork. about 12oz per 6 #. Go light as you can always add more liquid. You won't end up tasting the coke.

GG
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    GG - I love you with all my heart, but holding for 5-7 hours?? You're gonna kill somebody. :blink:
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Bux..If the butt is done more than 4 hours before serving time....pull it, and chill the pulled pork UNcovered as quickly as possible. Reheat to 165* minimum before serving...PLEASE!!! This can be done easily in a pan covered with foil in the oven.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

:laugh: well I am still vertical, somewhat vertical.

I cooked an 8# butt at 250°, double wrapped in heavy duty aluminum foil then in fleece (stadium blanket material) 50" wide 2 yards long, then on the counter. Big bundle for a small butt.

5 hours later I pulled it and the heat was uncomfortably warm to pull by hand. I didn't take a reading of the heat but I am guessing something above 140°. I wish I would have taken a reading. I will stand by at least 4 to 5 hours.

Nevertheless, it is very good advice, check the temperature when holding for long periods.

Hugs, Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Buxwheat, LC knows a whole bunch more than me, so take the advice of a professional, a professional who knows what she is doing.

Thanks for the heads up LC.

Kent
  • Buxwheat
    Options
    Went to bed @ 12:30 and had the dome down to 255°, meat 167°. Figured it was stable again. At 5:45 my dome was down to 195°/meat 177°. Small adjustment and dome to 230° and rising (opened the Lucy one petal). Looks like things are on track again.
    This was a first for me: cooking too fast. I was sure that if it had reached plateau in about 6 hrs that it would be done way too quickly. From now on I'm staying home on my LNS cooks until I get a Guru or Stoker. I was fooled thinking that my egg was stable after 3 hours and didn't need to keep an I on it for a couple of hours.
  • Petunia
    Petunia Posts: 110
    Options
    Although the DigiQ works great to keep the temp from falling it won't keep the temp from rising if you have the opening set too wide or just an especially hot fire. I had an eight pound butt done in 9 1/2 hours last week. Part of the reason was that the temp would rise to around 270 occasionally. You still have to know how to set up your vents on the DigiQ to keep things in range.
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    Options
    I held mine for 5 hrs before pulling and it still was very hot
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Same thing happens to me when I give myself and the butt time. The SOB butt does a turbo on me. There ought to be a law . . .
  • Buxwheat
    Options
    Let the dome drift down to 205-210°. Held it there til about 11:30, then raised it to 230° to finish it (stuck at 185°). Took it off the egg at 12:15 when it hit 200°. Foiled, toweled, resting in a prewarmed cooler. Total time 21 hr 15 min. I love it when a plan comes together.