Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What holds the egg in its nest?

KB
KB Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just purchased an egg and its nest. The dealer was kind enough to assemble it for me. When I brought it to my home, my neighbor helped me carry it to my backyard and together the two of us lifted it into its pre-assembled nest.

My neighbor left, and I began taking the packing material out of the inside of the egg. The top was open and I was removing small pieces of packing material when the egg started to fall. I caught it before it hit the ground which was alarming. I was afraid I had produced a virgin Humpty Dumpty.

I looked for instructions for the nest and the small booklet doesn't appear to have any so I am hoping you provide me with some guidance. Do I need to place the egg in its nest and tighten up the hardware?

Meanwhile, the egg is sleeping safely on my deck.

Thanks, KB

Comments

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Same thing that keeps willie looking at the ground...gravity! ;)
  • The egg should snap down into the nest. seems like it wasn't totally seated into the nest - which is a bit strange in my opinion since the weight of the egg should drop it right down into a very stable nest.

Here's a pic of my egg on the day I brought it home:

Virgin%20BGE%20Open.JPG
  • KB
    thanks. Tomorrow in the daylight I'll use this photo as a guide when my son and I try and place it in its nest again.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    The egg started to fall and you caught it before it hit the ground?

I don't see how the egg can fall out of the nest. Was maybe the whole nest tipping over?
  • KB
    Maybe the entire unit was falling over. I didn't have a good view of what was going on. As it was falling I put my arms around it and lifted it to the ground level. I had to extract one side of it from the nest while holding it, which wasn't easy since the large egg is on the heavy side.
  • KB
    Is the nest a bit unstable?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    A BGE in a nest is top heavy and we always recommend STRONGLY that you learn to PULL your egg in a nest and NEVER PUSH IT.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Catching a large is one hell of a grab. :huh:

Betcha the nest is as loose as a goose.
  • KB
    No troll here. I must have hit the submit button twice and made a double post. I edited it and turned the second post into my second comment because it looked dumb having the same comment appear twice.

I am into photography and I hope to be posting some photos in the next few months that will make be a welcome addition to the site. I also am adventuresome when it comes to food and will likely do some cooking with fish wrapped in banana leaves.

I ordered one of those DigiQ DX kits today from a woman at the BBQ Guru and after it arrives, I will get down to business. I might need some more advice as I get started. Searching the archive is a valuable resource, but I'm sure new situations arise all the time that haven't been answered yet. Seems like a good community here.
  • KB
    I'll try tightening it before I insert it again. Minnesooota here, too. We've had some nice sales on Eggs the past week in the Twin Cities. I hadn't even heard of one before until last week when I attended a BBQ open house. Everyone was around the Eggs asking questions about their operation and were ignoring the big gas grills, until some plates of steak were offered at those other tables.
  • It is a great forum and welcome!!
  • poolguy
    poolguy Posts: 129
    KB sometimes you have to push the BGE down and make sure it is all the way down. Some that I have assembled needed a little push. just make sure it is all the touching the nest before opening the lid.

Larry
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    I started building my table just days after bringing it home because that nest is JUST NOT STABLE...if you forget for one second with the lid open and push the unit away from you it will fall. If you have pavers or other stone for the porch you are going to tip it over for sure. I ended my frustrations with the table...and then ironically dumped my egg off teh table when installing it and broke it...oh well.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • KB
    Ouch. Did you have to buy a new one?

That's one reason I didn't attempt to put mine back in the nest tonight. I plan to wait for help. If two people are lifting it, the chance of dropping it is very small.
  • jball
    jball Posts: 63
    How large are the wheels? My brand new lg. nest has 4" wheels which are larger than others I've seen. Seems very stable. You can find casters at most any home store if you want to swap them out. - John
  • KB
    mine seem pretty large too. I really don't know hat happened last night. It seemed stable when I first placed it in the nest. Maybe a wheel fell into one of those gaps in my deck boards.
  • KB
    it's sitting in the nest correctly now. But when I open the top, it shifts toward the back. In other words, the weight of the lid causes it to move in the nest. Is that normal? The shell is currently empty because I had been removing the shipping debris its inside.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Is the bolt through the two cross pieces there? Did the nest collapse or fold up? I'd check to make sure that the nest can't fold up and that all the bolts are installed and tight.
    The Naked Whiz
  • KB
    it appears to be in place. The weight of the top, when open, causes the egg to shift in the nest. Is that normal?
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Not at all normal. It most likely wasn't 'seated' in the nest.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    I think we need a photo. The dealer didn't give you a nest for medium with a large egg or something whacky like that, did he?
    The Naked Whiz
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    had to buy new fire ring and bottom unit, yes.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • KB
    Here are two photos

Top Closed (it seems to rest fine in the nest)

4528463174_55d0609d87_b.jpg

Top Open (it shifts an inch or so)it appears to be scraping some paint off of the nest at that tension point.

4528462982_f4d37e719d_b.jpg
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Dunno. Mine doesn't "shift" at all. You might want to edit your spelling though. ;)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• KB
    thanks. I'll ride over to the place where I bought it and check with them and look over their floor model.
  • KB
    I loaded all the stuff back into the shell, and it seems a lot more stable now. That problem I experienced might just be a consequence of having the shell be empty while I was cleaning out the detritus left over from the packing.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Are the two cross bars under the egg and between the wheels running perpendicular to one another? Sounds like maybe the nest is scissored closed a little or something. The cross bars should form perfect right angles.
  • KB
    the appear perpendicular to me. There is a small amount of play in those cross bars - if I really push on two of them I can move them a about a 1/4 inch, even after tightening the center screw and lock washer.

I believe the problem was caused by not having weight in the bottom of the egg.
  • triehle98
    triehle98 Posts: 208
    I just bought a large a few weeks ago and the nest was too tight , I had to spread out the arms that stick up past the bottom of the egg. they were too tight and made the egg not sit down all the way. if you should be able to slide a piece of paper between those arms otherwise its gonna want to spring outta the nest. just trying to help if i can . its worth looking at
  • JPfin
    JPfin Posts: 2
    I have the same problem as the previous member. The nest egg is so tight that the large egg does not fall in the right place.
    what should I do?