Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quality Meats in Arlington, VA?

SmokingLong
SmokingLong Posts: 34
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any local Eggers in Arlington/NoVa have recommendation on place to purchase quality meats close to Arlington? I typically go to Whole Foods in Arlington, where the prices are high, but the quality is good.

But in light of the parking, select availability and atrocious meat counter service, I am looking for a dependable alternative. I wish Arlington had a dedicated butcher.

Comments

• Costco has really good meat.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Max always raves about union meats at the Eastern market downtown...never been there myself, but I'm sure he will chime in if he see's this post...
    http://www.easternmarket-dc.org/
  • If Rockville, MD is not too far for you, there's a Latin market on Rockville Pike called Las Americas. I go there all the time. They have great hanger steak, various sausages, rib (pork and beef) etc. Only problem is if you don't speak Spanish, ordering might be a little tricky. The prices are reasonable.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    I shouldn't have to, nor be expected to, speak spanish to buy somethhing in the United States....
  • Thanks for the recs. Eastern Market does have terrific meats (I buy my xmas prime rib from them every year). Its definitely worth the trip if one has the time.
  • The bigger/nicer Hispanic markets in the DC area can be great places to buy BBQ meat. I get all of my whole briskets (a rare thing in this area) at the Bestway market on Telegraph Road near the Beltway in Alexandria. They also have excellent chicken and some of the best fish I've seen anywhere in the DC area, bar none.
  • I agree with your theory that the ethnic markets are some of the best places to get high quality meats and produce. Their prices are also generally reasonable. Does anyone shop at a good ethnic market in Arlington?
  • Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    There is one on N Glebe Rd as you go from Ballston Mall to Colombia pike. Its on the right hand side. I always get my short rins from there. Likewise, I haven't ever tried it, but there is a small Spanish market that has a butcher right across the street from Whole foods in Clarendon. They may have briskets and Boston butts. That Gelato place that everyone goes to in Clarendon is attached to it.