Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Me too

Options
Ms.
Ms. Posts: 145
edited November -1 in Weight Loss Forum
This is my first post on the Weight Loss Forum (I guess I was trying to fool myself in believing I didn't have any weight to lose - WRONG).

I had started working out about two months ago, but then I took a big break - a month or so. But this morning, I told myself: ENOUGH!

I got on the Wii and did a 25 minutes workout with Active Sports, in high intensity mode. I just loved it, and I love the feeling it left me with: rejuvenated.
I plan on going through the 30 days challenge month after month, and when I'll feel that's not enough,

As for the food thing (because that's what it's always about, right?), I will use things that worked for me before, and that I should never have stopped doing:
[li]choose high quality food (in that, I mostly follow Dr. Richard Béliveau's book: Eating Well, Living Well: An Everyday Guide for Optimum Health.
51hiV7JlkKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
[li]log my food intake (I learned that at WW)
[li]drink lots of water (WW too!)[/li][li]try to determine when I'm really hungry and when I'm not (that, I never learned anywhere :( )[/li]

Simple, right? Well, it should be.

I have 25 pounds to lose. One pound at a time. :whistle:

Comments

• 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    Talk about an INSPIRING post!! This is it!! Great job.
    Yes, it feels good afterward. I agree in priciple that it is always about food, but, I have been late coming to the idea that it cannot be about food alone. As I said in an earlier post it isn't all about regulating what goes into your mouth. It isn't even about losing weight. It is much more about building muscle that burns fat.

Burning fat needs to be our focus not just blindly losing weight. Fat is the enemy not the number of pounds we weigh. Scales, in actuality, are a poor tool to measure of our "health" Much more to the point is any device that measures body fat. Our weight in pounds fluctuates daily too widely to be accurate. If we are up a few pounds we lose resolve. If we are down we "reward" ourselves.

A major difference for me came when I finally after 61 years realized food was fuel not an emotional response. I learned that I needed to eat balanced meals that included protein/fat and a vegetable or fruit and for me limit starches to after workout only.

I don't mean to sound like I am on a soapbox but this has been a profound change in my thinking and has produced positive swings in my actions. Thinking is the precursor to all action, so if we change our thinking it will naturally change our action.

Keep at it and let us know how it goes.
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    Your enthusiasm is great....how about cooking some non-meat proteins & whole-grain starches on the Egg? Cooking beans on the Egg seems silly at first, until you do a quick-cooked meat or poultry and realize that your lovely coals will just be shut off. Take advantage of the heat--have a dutch oven of beans ready to go, damp the temp down to 250, and cook some extremely healthy, cheap protein to eat later & fill up the freezer. Think beyond the pork-n-beans cliche; I've had good luck with lentils (super-fast cooking), black beans and chickpeas. Near the end of the beans' cook time, you can raise the temp a bit and bake corn muffins or whole-wheat rolls.

The residual heat is also good for baking fruit cobblers: you'd be surprised how a simple whole-wheat, cinnamon & nut streusel topping elevates simple sliced apples or mixed berries & stone fruits (no-sugar-added, frozen works just fine). A touch of butter helps, but excessive amounts aren't necessary.

The Egg is a great tool, but so much of its use is meat-centric. There's a whole world of (non-meat) food that's delicious when cooked over charcoal....think outside the BBQ box!
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    HC--Great post!! I just ran into some posts on the "other side" about beans. I am a bean lover and they struck my interest. The unfortunate part is that I am the only bean person in my family. But I love the idea of not wasting heat and fuel and throwing a pot of beans on. I will have to try it.