Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dizzy Pig Maple Salmon

Options
Luder
Luder Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just received my order of Raging River Rub and I am planning on grilling some Salmon according to the recipe on Dizzy Pigs website. The recipe is kind of vague and I need some help. Cook time on the website is 10-30 minutes, anyone have anything more precise? Also the mixture of maple syrup and butter, how much of each (1/2 and 1/2 or other mixture)?

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy Luder,
    I usually mix the maple syrup butter about 50/50. [p]As far as the vague cooking instructions, it is more of a personal preference, and salmon is very flexible. If you like it well done then lower temps and longer times can be used, but if you like it more medium/medium rare, then go with a hotter fire and a quicker cook. A lot depends on the thickness of the piece as well. Somewhere around 350 works real nice. By the time you get a golden brown crust built up on the meat it should be done. 10-15 minutes per side, then the baste, is about right for 1inch thick filets at 350...but really, this is quite flexible. It is really tough to screw up salmon.[p]Wish I could be more specific, but let the food talk to you while it is cooking!
    Hope it helps! Enjoy....and have fun.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Luder
    Luder Posts: 31
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Thanks for the help. This is my first time cooking salmon and I haven't eaten it very often either, so I don't really know what constitutes done or overcooked. I think I need someone there to hold my hand, if it can be screwed up, I will find a way:)[p]I will try your recommendations and I will let you know how it turns out.[p]Thanks again,
    Luder[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Luder,
    Salmon is an oily fish, and you have to torch salmon purty good to overcook. Even well done salmon is pretty moist. A little pink in the middle is nice...but not necessary. When it starts to want to flake it is time to take it off. [p]Let us know how it turns out!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ