Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking Striper Fillets

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to smoke some 8oz Striper Fillets. Is a 225-250 best & what kind of pan would you use? Thanks in advance for your practical, helpful suggestions.

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Shirl, What is a Striper Fillet?

• Unknown
    Options
    Gfw, A fish caught in the river, Striper Bass.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Shirl,
    Its a common fish here in our reservoir's, and quite a fighter. But we toss em back as very bony and strong bass taste to em. Some get to be rather large sized. [p]Never have tried em in the BGE, but I will do some checking around for a local recipe for pan fried. If you do em in the BGE..the cast iron skillet would work.
    Luck to ya..C~W[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Char-Woody, Thanks, We already know most ways to cook them. Just want to try them smoked. I've already marinated them, I think I'll just put them on a grill & keep the temp low. Even though I'm new at this, so far everything I've tried has turned out great. Now my husbnd wants everything smoked!

• Marty
    Marty Posts: 16
    Options
    Shirl,
    Your right about doing them at a low temp. Use some alder chips for the smoke, it is nice and mild and goes well with fish. Use some butter, lemon juice, and what ever other spices you like and they come out great. Stiper are excellent eating if you remove all the red meat which has a strong taste.[p]Good eating!

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Char-Woody & Shirl,[p]Maybe there are two different fish called a striper. The striper (also called striped bass) I know live in salt water and spawn in fresh. They can grow to well over 36" and also are a very energetic fish.[p]Here in NJ, they can only be caught by line and must be at least 28" in length to keep. The meat is very mild, white with a dark redish stripe running along the backbone that has a stronger flavor (can be cut out).[p]I like a very light smoke of alder or apple/hickory. The taste of the meat can easily be overcome by the smoke.[p]Spin
  • Unknown
    Options
    Spin,Marty & Char-Woody, Thanks for the your input. Well we put them on a fish grill & smoked them at 225 for 1 hour using pecan (only thing we had) They were pretty good but a little dry. Next time we will do the whole one instead of fillets.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Spin, yeh,,,they are the same fish only they are hybrids here in the fresh water lakes and reservoirs. And all bass seem to have that stripe or membrane. Cut em out and you eliminate a lot of heavy fish taste.
    Even Walleye gurus tend to remove that membrane, altho it has much less affect on the cook.
    Cheers..C~W[p]