Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Apple pie

Options
edg1
edg1 Posts: 86
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,

For my first try at real baking on the egg, I thought I would try an apple pie. Keep in mind, that I have never made a pie before in my life. And I usually have challenges keeping a constant temp.

This is the "before it went in the egg" pic.
DSC_6303.jpg

This is the "after it came out of the egg" pic.
DSC_6304.jpg

This is the "I ate a piece and did not die" pic.
DSC_6309.jpg

Does it taste anything like a professionally made pie? Not at all. But it is OK. And this time, I did not have major problems maintaining temp. I think that I had some bad lump recently, and this time I used some mesquite. It worked quite well.

I used the plate setter, legs down, and the pizza stone. The bottom crust came out a little harder than desired. I think that there was a bit too much direct heat transfer. Next time, I will put the ceramic grill in the middle, as a "stand off" device.

Later,

edg

Comments

• Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    Options
    Wow, the picture of the slice looks like one from a bakery. Great job.
  • Mark0525
    Options
    Did it have a smokey taste to it at all? I just don't get doing breads and pies and things on the egg. My wife would think I was crazy
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    I bake bread (and the occasional pie, cobbler, or fruit galette) all the time--no smoky taste. Heat the Egg until it isn't smoking, and you'll get no weird flavors in your bread.
  • MountainGriller
    Options
    Congratulations - looks very good - nice crust
  • pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Way to go. Looks yummy. great job.

Patti
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Nice pie edg, put Egg feet between the platesetter and the stone like this
    [url]DSC_0013-33.jpg[/url]

Ross
  • Mark0525
    Options
    You guys are nuts!!!! :) I mean that in a nice way.
  • rosros
    rosros Posts: 408
    Options
    You just gave me the mid afternoon munchies.
  • RebelEgg
    RebelEgg Posts: 45
    Options
    Still haven't tried baking in mine, but all these pics make me want to.
  • edg1
    edg1 Posts: 86
    Options
    Hi Ross,

I will see if I can find my feet. They are around somewhere.

I like the lattice crust top. I don't know if I have the patience to do the weaving.

Sometime next week, I am going to try sourdough bread, baguette style.

For those of you who have gotten the munchies from the pix, suffer! :evil:

Take care,

edg
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    We love baking on the egg :)
    247.jpg
    apple pie
    027.jpg
    033.jpg
    braided apple loaf
    001.jpg
    crisp
    cinnbunsSmall.jpg
    cinn rolls
    peachcobbler.jpg
    cobbler
    Picture1044.jpg
    pitas
    039.jpg
    047.jpg
    chocolate volcano cakes
    014.jpg
    braided Rubens
    026.jpg
    OK I am hungry I will stop now....
    but find your feet, plate setter legs up is the first step for me for the indirect. then it depends on what I am cooking how I go from there. sometimes a small stone on those to add more of a buffer and then the grid on that and my dish on that. but he main key it CLEAN, clean egg, clean lump and clean grid and stones. no smoke at all to taint it.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Awesome try Edg! You'll get it. You got some good replys. Good luck on that sourdough.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Judy's Egg
    Judy's Egg Posts: 104
    Options
    I've never baked a pie either, but it gives me another excuse to light up the Egg. I'll eat apple pie even if it's just "ok".
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Some bakes.
    Mixed fruit duff

4112010015.jpg

Banana bread

4112010009.jpg
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE