Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can you help me decide on the BGE?

Options
aChickWithNoClue
aChickWithNoClue Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
While I usually HATE posting in a fourm without lurking first (and for that, I apologize) I am in need of quick help re the BGE.

I am married to the best husband and father in the world. His favorite hobby is smoking. I would like to get him a BGE for Father's Day. Not only will he love it, he will cook for me constantly (thus my motives are also selfish...and I love food).

I have found a Large BGE on sale only until tomorrow for $599. I believe this is a competitive price. Am I correct? Also, it is in a store about 50 miles away. Any guesses on whether I can fit it into a Honda Accord?

I anticipate buying a nest for it later.

Much thanks for any responses!

Comments

• Manfred
    Manfred Posts: 186
    Options
    That is a great price. It might fit in the car. You might have to lay all the sets down and lay the egg in the back.Good luck
    You are a very thoughtful wife.
  • azbbguy
    azbbguy Posts: 191
    Options
    599 is a good price, these days.

You can fit it in a honda accord, but you are going to need some help getting it out when you get home, that is for sure.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    $599 is a VERY good price, if it's from a dealer and includes the warranty.

If it's assembled, getting it into an accord might be a trick. If it's unassembled, you'll probably be able to fit it into the trunk, but take some twine; you'll probably have to tie the trunk closed. Call the dealer, they might be able to confirm.

You'll also need some help getting it out of the trunk once you get home. It's very heavy.

Your husband will probably want (not NEED, necessarily, but it DOES make a big difference) either a table or the nest...something to bring it up to a height where he doesn't have to bend over or squat to cook on it.
  • Cactus Doug
    Cactus Doug Posts: 341
    Options
    This seems like a fair price. If you decide to buy the egg, you need to get him a platesetter as well, it will allow him to do indirect cooks. I think the egg will fit in your honda. Be careful some of the parts are heavy. Good luck.
  • SoonerEggster
    Options
    Well, I'll see you there! LOL!!! I got the following information about size from the BGE folk in an e-mail today:
    The large Egg in the nest has a diameter of 24", the medium 21". I recommend, for any BGE, 12" behind the Egg for the lid to open but you could get away with 9".

I wanted to know the sizes and how far from the wall they had to be. You are talking about the medium egg I'd guess, which is what we are getting, or with no nest maybe the large. I'd think you might lay one down in the back seat on a big blanket, and put the parts in the trunk maybe. Take a big garbage bag to seal it up in since it's been cooked on (if it is a demo egg).

You'll have to measure your car, but these figures should be real helpful to you!

Have fun!
  • aChickWithNoClue
    Options
    You guys are the greatest! This is all VERY helpful. My husband has an SUV, so I think I'll just steal his car to go and get it. Since I'll need his help to get it out of the car, I guess he will be getting an early father's day gift now.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Has your husband ever mentioned a BGE?
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Good ideas all around...I'd gladly exchange the father's day surprise if it meant two extra months of egging! :lol:
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Hi. I would say that's an excellent price! I paid about $820 for a large with nest, plate setter, pizza stone, ash tool, 2 bags of lump, one of hickory chunks oh, and a cast iron grid.

As for the Accord, no way if it's assembled. If it's still in the boxes, you will have to remove the pieces and fit them in the car here and there. Brought mine home in a Maxima with no problem. I strapped the base (the largest piece) into the front seat. I used a nylon strap around the egg and the seat back as it didn't look like the seatbelt would do much good. The rest in the back seat and trunk. Bring blankets or towels for cushioning and to protect upholstery. Don't bring a passenger though you will need help getting it into and out of the car.

I would also suggest a nest (another $100 or so) to get it to a comfortable working height.

Good luck.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• aChickWithNoClue
    Options
    Yes. Absolutely. But, he would never buy one for himself, given the price. I have a hard time getting him to buy things for himself. Me, on the other hand... I will happily purchase for myself.
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    Options
    When I bought my lg it did not fit and I have a Dodge Journey which is a crossover. It actually did end up fitting but I broke one of the shelves. That's a great price. I kind of wish I bought a XL though.
  • aChickWithNoClue
    Options
    Yeah, I think the nest is a must.
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    Options
    Yes a nest is a must. I thought it came with it. If I didn't have my nest it would of fit
  • aChickWithNoClue
    Options
    Yeah, he's pretty anti-hallmark holiday anyway. It will make no difference to him if he gets a gift now, and a big, "hey, here's your father's day hug, sucka!" on the actual day.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Usually a win/win is mightyfine

This is a win/win/win/win

Great Price,
    Great present/surprise,
    Great times cooking outdoors with family and friends, and
    Great food

Good luck with it.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Just making sure, not everyone likes the idea of the BGE, as crazy as that sounds.
    I agree that the 599 is a very good price, and that you should spring for the nest right away.
    Good luck and thanks for joining the forum. We look forward to hearing more from you two.
  • boston_stoker
    Options
    That's a good price. I would want something to hold it though (e.g. table or nest) as the ceramic does seem quite fragile and it is very heavy. I doubt it would fit in an accord. The main box is quite large, and it weighs well over 100 lbs. It will make a great gift!
  • aChickWithNoClue
    Options
    Thx Frank,

I'm from Mandeville, LA originally. One of my favorite quotes from a good friend was, "I consider anyone north of Houma to be a yankee." Ha! Anywhoo, I thought of that when I saw your screen name. Thanks again.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Ha Ha - I used to say that a long time ago - anyone north of Hwy 90. :)

BTW - You may want to check into the Gulf Coast Egg Fest in Gulfport on April 23rd. You can click on the banner above for more info.

50 miles away sounds like you are headed to either "Outside and In" in Houma or somewhere in Baton Rouge - probably not Goodwood - they can be kind of pricey but carry a great assortment of neat stuff.
  • aChickWithNoClue
    Options
    Actually, although I'm from LA, I live in AL now, so I'm headed to Blossman Hearth & Home in Ocean Springs, MS. But thanks for the info re the Gulfcoast Eggfest. That's very close to us!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have a Honda accord (4 door) and brought my large home unassembled. It was awhile ago (2006), and I believe the box was too big so I took pieces out and it was fine in the trunk and backseat.

Stike came over and showed me how to put it together, so that made it easy.

You give him an early Father's day present so then he'll be able to practice on it beforehand and use it on Father's day.

ps- he's a very lucky man!
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    Just to reinforce a few comments made already:

- get the nest
    - get a plate setter
    - get the raised grid (hold off on this one if you must)
    - give it to him now

If he loves smoking, he's going to love his BGE!

Mark
  • B & C
    B & C Posts: 217
    Options
    Buy it -it's a good price, for a good man to spoil a good woman.

It is hard to be treated like king if you don't treat her like a queen.
  • Big George's BBQ
    Options
    That is a Great price. Get the nest now. If you get it in the car it may be difficult to get it out. That is an awesome gift. My wife did it for my B Day- I had to order it and pick it up.
  • Brazilian_Egg
    Options
    I fit the XL in my Acura sedan, which is basically an Accord. Though it had to be removed from the box and I used the trunk for the lid and the back seat for the main part on its side.

Getting it out of the car most certainly will require two people. The large is 140lbs and its not in a shape that's easy to grab like a weight bench bar.

Great price, BUY IT!!!!
  • Great price and it will fit. I fit one into a mazda last year. They took it out of the box, strapped it into the front seat, and told me I was good to go in the carpool lane! :P

Get it - he'll love you, and if he's doing all the cooking, well, why are you not already on the road, girl?
  • Aint' that the truth. My husband was less than thrilled with his father's day gift 5 years ago. He has never really warmed up to it. :(
  • scott7772
    Options
    I fit my large assembled in the back of my 2006 Honda Accord. No Problem!
  • scott7772
    Options
    FYI - I also fit the nest assembled in the front seat, the assembled egg in the back seat laying down. The fire ring and firebox in the rear floor, and a bunch of eggcessories in the trunk.