Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First long cook Friday night...need help

Options
2»

Comments

• boston_stoker
    Options
    In pre-revolutionary New England, some pork cuts (not those highly valued, or "high on the hog," like loin and ham) were packed into casks or barrels (also known as "butts") for storage and shipment. The way the hog shoulder was cut in the Boston area became known in other regions as "Boston butt".

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2006/05/07/heres_the_rub/
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    Options
    When I think of pulled pork I definitely think smokey flavor but I'm afraid of it being too smokey that's why I haven't used and chips yet. Will all the help you guys gave me on this meal do you think if I omit the chips I will be missing something?
  • ledmond
    ledmond Posts: 88
    Options
    You won't oversmoke a ham, turkey maybe, but not a ham. I would use chunks, not chips. If chunks are too large I for example take a chunk say the size of my fist and use a hatchet to cut into 4-5 pieces. If you think about it, you are burning nothing but wood anyway, so if too much smoke was possible, we'd all be crazy for giving away our gas grilles. The hickory just gives a particular flavor to it, which is why every BBQ joint uses it. You won't go wrong, here. It is a very forgiving cook, just don't pull too soon when you are convinced it is burned up, it will be great.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I've done a 50/50 dizzy dust/raging river mix...works well....I've never done a straight raging river butt, but would also be worried about the amount of sugar.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    mix two handfuls of chips in the lump....it will not be too much smoke....

by the way, well you're at it smoke at least 2 butts...if you are putting in the effort mine as well get some leftovers...freeze them and use them in things like ABT's, apple pie baked beans, etc....
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    Options
    Thanks Chris, I think I will. I was just afraid if I screwed one up it would cost me that much, but screwing 2 up that could add up :)