Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rain damage?

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,895
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
During the night as humpy was cooling down it rained heavily. I now find the dome guage has water (not just moisture, but water!) in it. Will that rust something inside so that I can't trust the accuracy any more?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    RRP, Dang, that is one tip that needs refreshing..I use a bit of Pam veggie spray to make mine water resistant. Just spray a light coating on a paper towel and wipe the surface of the guage.
    For your guage, I would sit it upside down on a paper towel and let the water siphon out as it went in.. It will take several days (weeks) to get it all out and funtioning again. You may want to order a spare for grins, just in case.
    Most of the time, when rain threatens, I either use a zip bag over it, or bring it in the house..(the thermometer)
    Cheers...C~W[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]I never tried that - my Harley gas gage gets hazy every time I wash it - might try Pam. On my dome gage I ran a tiny amount of clear silicone then ran my finger around to set it in good. Its been thru rains and the tail of two hurricanes - no leaky! Just keep it off the center of the glass gage.[p]Tim[p]
  • Teslamania
    Teslamania Posts: 144
    Options
    RRP,[p]There is a new thermometer now, and I think Jewel from BGE says that it is water proof. It is easier to read (IMHO) than my old one. I picked one up in Waldorf at eggfest 2k.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Teslamania, I've already got an order in right now with my local BGE dealer for a PS-14 plate setter and since they don't intend to call it in for a week or so I might as well order that thing as well. Upon removal and further inspection tonight my temp guage has more water than I even thought it did...I mean I can turn it and I swear I hear the tide rushing in and out!
    Do you know the part number of the one you purchased as I don't see anything special on the parts list.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Tim M, Just remember,,,resistant, not proof..:-) In never have had moisture problems with two thermometers..once in a while they get caught in a surprise rain..But rain around here is nearly non existant. :-)
    Cheerio...C~W[p]

• Teslamania
    Teslamania Posts: 144
    Options
    RRP,[p]Don't know the stock number. It might be best to call Atlanta - speak with Jewel - because they probably have the new ones there. All the distributors might not have them yet. Don't worry, the thermometer you have should dry out completely in a few days.