Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak Confession

Options
PackerFan
PackerFan Posts: 72
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello,[p]I have a confession to make. I have owned an Large Egg now for about 4 months. I cook on it twice a week and have enjoyed many recipes off of this forum. Naturally one of the best foods I have enjoyed off the egg has been steak. I have always been a Ribeye fan and my wife prefers Filet Mignon or Ribeye. I cooked KC Strip a couple of weeks ago and I thought it was pretty tasty but wife was not as impressed. She likes to be able to cut steak with a butter knife instead of having a better beef flavor. I had read a while back when I started using the TRex method of cooking steak that he recommended Top Sirloin as one of the better cuts to buy for this method of cooking. I dismissed this idea of buying Top Sirloin. My stubborn self thought that Sirloin was a poor man's steak and i wouldn't waste my time on one. Well right now I am a poor man and went to local store to buy steaks last night and they had Top Sirloin on sale. I bought the usual 8 oz Filet for my wife and had the butcher cut me a 1 1/2 inch thick Sirloin. This thing weighed in at 2.44 lbs. I am having some of it for lunch today. I took it home and rubbed it with Cow Lick and let it warm up. Cooked steak using TRex method to Medium Rare. THIS TOP SIRLOIN WAS THE BEST STEAK I HAVE EVER EATEN. I made my wife try it as well and she is now a sirloin fan as well. She had little desire to finish her Filet after eating the Sirloin. I never realized how much flavor a steak could have. I am tempted to experiment with some blindfold taste tests with some of my other freinds who also would be hesitant to try a "Sirloin". This steak was awesome. That is my confession. If you haven't tried it I would encourage that you do. I guess maybe the TRex method is taylor made to be used on a large cut of Top Sirloin. It is now time for me to eat my 16 ounces of leftover steak.[p]Kenny

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    PackerFan,
    we also like the top sirloin for flavor. . .and with trex, it comes out very tender. . .i buy whole top sirloins at price club and cut the steaks myself (i usually get about 8 2"thick steaks. . .man they are yummy. .. .

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    BeefRear.gif
    <p />PackerFan,[p]Was your steak a top sirloin or a top strip loin (NY Strip)? I first wrote the method for NY Strips, which is my beef cut of choice. I've never cooked a top sirloin, but I've heard reports similar to yours (I think Nature Boy loves top sirloin) that have great results. I need to try a top sirloin soon, especially since they are less expensive. [p]I often confuse the two cuts semantically. Here's the website from which the picture was taken - good info.[p]Glad you had a great steak![p]Cheers,[p]TRex
    [ul][li]Description of sirloin cuts[/ul]
  • Hamm
    Hamm Posts: 73
    Options
    PackerFan,
    I have 2lb serloin in the fridge now and I was logging on to ask what I should do with it...now I know. Thanks.

• BucsFanJim
    BucsFanJim Posts: 161
    Options
    PackerFan,
    I've always loved the flavor of a Top Sirloin. It's even better when done on the Egg. I've yet to try the TRex method though. It's an extremely juicy cut for how lean it is.
    Welcome to the "poor man's club"
    Is it football season yet?

• PackerFan
    Options
    TRex,[p]I looked it up. It was USDA Choice Boneless Top Sirloin. It did not have the large fat ring that surrounds a Strip. It was pretty much lightly marbled evenly throughout steak. It was on sale for 5.99 lb. Maybe the guy accidentally cut me a loin. This thing at 2.44 lbs 1 1/2 in thick was about 11x7x1.5 in dimension. One big hunk of meat. I am tempted to go buy more just to try again. I just ate leftovers and got everyones attention at work. I gave a small piece to a coworker and he said that it tasted better Microwaved than any steak he had ever made at home right off the grill. [p]Kenny

• Unknown
    Options
    BucsFanJim,[p]Yeah I am ready for football season any time now! My husband doesn't think we should haul the Egg to tailgate parties though....[p]Go Bucs![p]Debbie
  • PackerFan
    Options
    BucsFanJim,[p]I am glad you asked. The hall of fame game is August 9th which is 42 days away. The first important (Packers)game is on the 16th which is 49 days away. Go Packers. I am having my neighbor who is a great artist paint a Green Bay helmet on the side of my "Green Egg". I can't wait. It is going to be nice to be able to cook during the cold winter months this season.[p]Kenny[p]
  • BucsFanJim
    Options
    FlaGal,
    I have a trailer with a couple of offset smokers on it I use for tailgating...but am seroiusly thinking about adding a small or mini BGE to the mix for tailgates as well.
    The large BGE would be a pain to haul... then you have to worry about it cooling off so you can put it away before heading to the stadium.

• BucsFanJim
    Options
    PackerFan,
    Yeah.. I had a feeling you might be modifying the Egg for the Packers.
    Been to Lambeau once for a Bucs game up there and have to say that Packer Fans are probably one of the most fun opposing team fans to tailgate with.

• Unknown
    Options
    BucsFanJim,[p]What I will probably do is cook stuff the day before, then re-heat and bring to tailgate in my insulated carrying thingy. I can't wait to bring out a batch of ABTs for our friends! Looks like we might have to find a new place to tailgate, I think they are taking over part of the old Tampa Bay Center soon and limiting the tailgating there.

• BucsFanJim
    Options
    pic025.jpg
    <p />FlaGal,
    I didn't realize you were local. Yeah... the Bucs sent me a letter to buy a parking pass at the Tampa Bay Center...which is nice but we have been tailgating at AL Lopez park for 10 years and it is one of the best if not the best spots to tailgate in the NFL.
    We reserve a shelter in the park for every game (excluding pre-season) and usually there are about 30-40 of us that tailgate together.
    For more info. go to BucFanz dot com.
    You and yours are welcome to join me and mine and the rest of us.

• Unknown
    Options
    faa309d3.jpg
    <p />BucsFanJim,[p]We used to tailgate at the park since around the early 80's until it flooded so bad the El Nino year and then they restricted how many cars could get in. Hope to go back there this year though, much better than the hot old parking lot. This my friends' little Buc fan:[p]

• BucsFanJim
    Options
    wpe31.jpg
    <p />FlaGal,
    Cool picture... yeah we used to tailgate at the corner in the park ( MLK and Himes) until it rained so bad that it was a mud pit...now we're all the way up in the north end of the park. alot of open space as you can see from the other picture for throwing the football, horse shoes, baggo etc. Alot of shade too!
    We even had a steel drum band for one of the tailgates last year.[p]Oh yeah...the park has umm permanent ahem... facilities which are very important to my better half![p]

• PackerFan
    Options
    BucsFanJim,[p]OK now. We went from talking about High Quality Steak to the Bucs. What is up with that? I don't think the 2 resemble each other. LOL. By the way the Bucs and Packers don't play each other this year so cheers to that. Good Luck to you and I honestly am glad we don't have to play the Bucs twice a year.[p]Kenny
  • BucsFanJim
    Options
    PackerFan,
    Yes I did veer off topic there for awhile. Yeah good luck to your Pack and hopefully the 2 will meet in the playoffs...IN TAMPA!
    Late

• Unknown
    Options
    PackerFan,[p]sirloin is always my first choice. true, occasionally i find a tough one, but generally the sirloin is quite tender and juicy with wonderful flavor. i have never quite seen the point in filets...absolutely no flavor unless marinated extensively. kind of like paying $11/ lb for a sponge.[p]just my $.02