Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just a thought.... \'er two.

'Q Bruddah
'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
edited November -1 in Weight Loss Forum
I read a great book from the library about 9 Ways to Fire Up Your Metabolism. The reading I have done lately has been suggesting eating a protein or a fat with your vegetables so you can extend the fat burning properties of the vegetable and stave off hunger longer. I have begun eating 5 to 6 smaller meals a day. Each meal should contain protein and carbohydrate, read vegetable and maybe a little fat. A restriction on starches, bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc is also advisable and incorporated only after exercise. Eating "right" and exercise constitutes a lifestyle change. Done correctly it is not torturous deprivation as some have led you to believe. Diet alone is a tough way to go DAMHIK

I can't tell you how many times I have started a diet and said, "As soon as I lose X pounds I will start to exercise." Exercise first and don't even cut calories but eat right foods, not junk food, balanced meals. Build muscle and let the muscle burn the fat. You can't get fat eating fat. Only excess calories make you fat. Bigger muscles burn fat faster throughout your daily routine without any other changes. So, build the muscles.

My suggestion is strength training for those that can. Talk to your doctor first. www.stronglifts.com, who I am NOT affiliated with, has an excellent program to start off slowly with lots of great nutritional information as well. I am 61, 5'9" and was 250 lbs when I started. "How much weight have you lost, Bro'?" I don't really know and further don't really care. My clothes fit different and I see subtle changes in the mirror at home and in the gym, enough to keep me motivated. I see the weight I put on the bar steadily increase and I am amazed that I continue to get stronger and can actually shoulder the weight.

"But, Bro', I don't have the energy to exercise and I am afraid that exercise will take what little energy I have." Good news--Exercise brings the energy back into your life. At 61, I attempted to flatten my sofa by applying maximum force over its entire length for extended periods. I was adding daily to the weight I put on the couch and was unable to flatten it. So, I began exercising and don't even go near the couch as much as I used to. There are other more interesting things to do.

By reading the Metabolism book I learned for the first time in my life just how important a restful night sleep was. It came to pass that I decided that even my most favorite shows on TV no longer took priority over a healthy sleep. I know!! Going to bed and NOT falling asleep on the couch was a better alternative.

Google has been my friend. Search metabolism, lower cholesterol, lower blood pressure, burn fat, build muscle.

Eat great food prepared on the egg. Let's talk and help one another. I am NOT an expert and want to hear your good ideas. Hungry Celeste I liked your post and should have responded sooner.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    picked up a crash helmet this morning for the road bike. the last 15 or so pounds are coming off hard, you might be on to something with the exercise thing :laugh: i didn't want to do this :ermm: :laugh: maybe barbells near the beer fridge might help me B)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Make two equal sized bags of beer, plastic would work and place a bar between them. How on that, over?