Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Memphis BBQ

Options
TexasTigerFan
TexasTigerFan Posts: 85
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good afternoon fellow Eggers. Have not posted in a while so it is nice to be online.

I have a Memphis BBQ question. Where in Memphis are the best BBQ joints? My daughter has a soccer tournament there over Memorial Day weekend and I would like to try some of the famous BBQ you hear so much about. I am sure we have plenty of Eggers that know where to best places are and I would love to know.

Thanks and happy Egging!

Mike

Comments

• Memphistide
    Memphistide Posts: 207
    Options
    You are probably going to be at Mike Rose, so you are a ways away. The best BBQ is from my Egg, but some are a close 2nd :)

Central BBQ
    BBQ Shop
    Corky's
  • RebelEgg
    RebelEgg Posts: 45
    Options
    Rendezvous is always a good choice, great food and atmosphere. It is downtown.
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    when i lived there ten years ago, my choices were corky's for wet and rendevous for dry ribs.

rendevous isn't the best, but it's downtown and the atmosphere is neat.

also, the germantown commissary used to be pretty good as well.
  • Memphistide
    Memphistide Posts: 207
    Options
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    deepsouth wrote:
    rendevous isn't the best, but it's downtown and the atmosphere is neat.

Yep, there is something to be said for downtown. Especially if being near Beale Street is your thing. Also, I agree that the ambiance at Rendezvous is cool. BUT... their ribs, while quite tasty, are very DRY, and not particularly meaty! At least they were when I was there.

Oh, and good luck FINDING the place!! :) You have to walk down an alley and past the dumpsters. :lol:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Chainsmoker
    Chainsmoker Posts: 114
    Options
    Memphis BBQ, for the most part, is terrible! Everybody talks about Interstate but I've thrown that stuff in the trash. Corky's is ok and Top's is terrible. Sorry to disappoint but the Q here is not what tv makes it out to be.
    Ryan
  • TexasTigerFan
    Options
    Thank you for the heads up...how about soul food?
  • Roll Tide
    Roll Tide Posts: 505
    Options
    Rendezvous is awesome 'Q, hit up gus' fried chicken too, it is lout of this world good.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    You went to the WRONG PLACES! ;) Visitors are at the MERCY of Advertising/Marketing! Memphis Q and Music are the BEST in the WORLD!And yes,I've traveled it. B) TTF,shoot me an e-mail and I'll hook you up with the do's and don'ts! B)
  • Hoss
    Options
    We got the BEST of that TOO! :) I'll hook you up.NEVER listen to tourtists!I'm a HOMEBOY!I do not discredit their evaluations but they had NO IDEA where the good Q is! B)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Michael,

Been there and done that. Scariest walk I ever had. Blues bars are worth the visit.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Texastf, I've been here for almost 45 years. I've eaten almost all the q in town. Day in and day out, it's hard to beat Brads. I'm not much on rendezvous (sp?), Corky's (even though my cousin owns one), top's, and certainly not g'town commisary. Believe it or not my favorite is a little dirty hole in the wall at the corner of Macon and Mt. Pisgah. It use to be a gas station and I think the original dirt is still on the floor :huh: but dang its the most tender and juicy sammich in town.

Just remember, there are as many opinions as there are q joints.
  • Hoss
    Options
    NO DOUBT!(SP) :blush: I could not remember the name but I've been there!!!An OLD SERVICE STATION!!!It is the BEST! ;)B) Too many Tourist traps in Mempho! :(
  • Hoss
    Options
    Don't be skeered!!! The best Q is in the MOST dangerous places,Adds to the Ambiance!!! ;) :laugh:
  • SWOkla-Jerry
    Options
    I've never eatin at these places but they were featured on Diners Drive Inns and Dives Episode 307 - Memphis BBQ Tour on Food Network.

Tom's Bar-B-Q
    4087 Getwell Road
    Memphis, TN 38118
    Tel: (901) 365-6690

Marlowe's Ribs
    4381 Elvis Presley Blvd
    Memphis, TN 38116
    Tel: (901) 332-4159

Leonard's BBQ
    5465 Fox Plaza Drive
    Memphis, TN 38115
    Tel: (901) 360-1963

Cozy Corner
    745 N Parkway
    Memphis, TN 38105
    Tel: (901) 527-9158
  • deepsouth
    Options
    i wouldn't recommend marlowe's personally. it wasn't that good when i used to go their 15 years ago. i guess it could have improved.
  • Chainsmoker
    Chainsmoker Posts: 114
    Options
    I'm not a tourist! I've been living in this God forsaken, crime infested area for almost 9 years.

I know nothing about soul food.
    Ryan
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    That's the truth. You can't run into a ditch without being in sight of a BBQ joint.
  • deepsouth
    Options
    Chainsmoker wrote:
    I'm not a tourist! I've been living in this God forsaken, crime infested area for almost 9 years.

I know nothing about soul food.
    Ryan

wow. i lived there seven years and i miss it dearly.