Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Some gadgets

Options
WilliamH
WilliamH Posts: 57
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
PerforatedStainless.jpg
<p />Everyone has their particular methods. I’m not trying to change anyone or say this is better, just sharing. You could say I have a lot of time on my hands, but so do a lot of members of this cult, I mean forum. You could also say that all the gadgets in the world won’t make you a better cook, and I am living proof of that.[p]I bought a perforated stainless paper plate holder that I use in my small Egg. I turn it upside-down and put it just above the coals, it fits nicely and is supported by the walls of the firebox. It deflects intense heat while allowing air circulation. Last night I seared two large ribeyes (coated with oil) directly on top of it. I didn’t have to get the egg supper hot, because this is right above the coals. The holes don’t really get blocked by juices, etc. If they do, I simply knock the dried gunk off with my ash tool.[p]I (with my neighbor’s help) made a stainless expanded metal basket that holds the lump in my medium. This helps the lump get air. On the rare occasion that I do a complete cleanout, I pull the basket out and just vacuum out the rest.[p]To start fires in my medium Egg I use this contraption I made out of a camp stove burner. The burner itself pivots so that it points straight up while it is hanging on the edge of the vent. The burner lights the lump easily, partly because the expanded metal leaves so much of the lump exposed from the bottom.[p]More photos below...[p]-William[p]ExpandedMetalBasket.jpg
Expanded Metal Basket[p]LitBurner.jpg
Burner Contraption[p]BurnerInEgg.jpg
Burner in the Egg

Comments

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    Those look like good ideas. How was the expanded metal formed into the basket shape?

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    WilliamH,[p]That expanded metal lump holder looks good. Was it much effort to make it? [p]What size grid is on your small? It looks like it is not setting on the fire ring?[p]I understand the paper plate holder idea now. Doh! I'm gonna have to try it if I ever get out of this airport.[p]Cheers,[p]Ed

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • MerlinEgger
    Options
    WilliamH,
    Where did you get the plate holder for the small? Thanks for taking the time to post. I haven't had a small but a couple of months and any tricks you have to pass on I'd appreciate.

• WilliamH
    Options
    BamaBob,
    I took thin card board and made a flat pattern that fit in the firebox. We cut the expanded metal to the pattern. My neighbor has a press, we put a "V" shape in the bottom and a pointed part in the top and worked our way around to get the expanded metal to curve. Then we welded the ends and the bottom on. It is a royal pain in the neck to make.[p]I've contacted some manufactures with huge presses, but it would cost to much to make the mold, etc. Unless the expanded metal was pretty thin. You may not need it to be thick because the stainless will hold up so much better than carbon steel. Don't know, really.[p]Also, the right pattern of perforated steel with large holes could work, although not as well. It would be cheaper to make for sure.

• WilliamH
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    Expanded metal lump holder is a pain to make.[p]That grid has feet. I think it was originally something for letting cakes to cool. An old girlfriend left it at my house and I just started using it for an extended grid.

• WilliamH
    Options
    MerlinEgger,
    I got the paper plate holder at a gourmet kitchen store in Decatur, GA. I can't remember the name, though. Make sure they are stainless. I also cook ABT's on another one. So, two is good to have. Good luck.[p]

[ul][li]Here's a link for some.[/ul]
  • WilliamH
    Options
    MerlinEgger,
    Sorry. I just realized that they don't stock it on that link Here's another...

[ul][li]Sur La Table[/ul]