Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

replacing wood on eggmates

Options
double L
double L Posts: 90
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I removed the wood on my eggmates and replaced it with some acrylic from a bathroom vanity top I glued it to the arms on the mate first with gorilla glue it was ok for a while then it eventually failed I then tried two part epoxy one arm failed today, It looks like the glue itself failed it was still on both surfaces. does any one have any suggestions for a really strong shear strength glue or cement? any help appreciated.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Just some ideas...

You could use a proper drill and bore a hole through the mates and part way into the vanity. Use a led plug into the vanity hole then a screw through the mate and up into the vanity. Not sure of the proper name the the plug is used in cinder block and cement and should work fine in your application - just don't drill through the top of the vanity.

As for glue try outdoor silicone and give it 24 to 48 hours to dry, that will hold a plexiglas aquarium together and you will have more surface area than in an aquarium application.

GG
  • grillmandan
    grillmandan Posts: 270
    Options
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Said they tried 2 part epoxy but that is a good suggestion.

Wonder if the surfaces were greasy/dirty. They could use some alcohol to clean then epoxy.

GG
  • double L
    Options
    I like the plug idea that is the way it was fastened to the vanity but i was not able to salvage them and I dont know where to get them?
  • double L
    Options
    I cleaned both surfaces real good the failure wasn't on either surface
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Lowes, Home Depot or any good hardware store.

The JB Weld or silicone may be a good solution also if the surfaces are clean.

The plugs shouldn't fail if you have extreme temperature changes.

I mentioned going through the mates but going through the mate frame would be as good and less bulk.

You are looking for cement anchors.

GG
  • double L
    Options
    Thanks G/G I will try to locate some plugs I think that is the best solution
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Would these work? Drill oversized hole and thread these into it. Then run a bolt into the center hole to attach the piece. Not real clear on what you're trying to do.

12J20.jpg?rand=210185003

Available lots of places, here is one...

http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2001048/2001048.aspx

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• double L
    Options
    Looks good except the acrylic I am attaching is only 1/2 inch thick I really appreciate all the responses