Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Creamy Dijon Tuna Steaks with Pistachio Rice and Herbed Carrots & Broccoli

Options
QBabe
QBabe Posts: 2,275
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night's meal was an experiment with a bunch of new recipes, and I must say, I'd definitely do all of them again![p]The main course was Creamy Dijon Tuna Steaks...[p]tuna-dijon.jpg[p]The recipe...
4 5 oz tuna steaks (or can use large ones and cut into portions)
1 tsp Worchestershire sauce
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp olive oil
1/4 tsp salt[p]Mix above together and slather tuna on all sides for 5 minutes. Got the egg up to about 500° and seared for about 3 minutes per side for a medium-rare steak. Didn't remember to turn to get the nice cross-hatch grid marks, but oh well...![p]1 tsp Worchestershire sauce
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp olive oil
3 scallions, sliced
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup fat free chicken broth
1 tsp cornstarch
3 tbsp half and half[p]Heat oil. Add scallions and garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until reduced by 1/3, about 2 minutes. Dissolve cornstarch in half and half and stir into broth. Cook, stirring constantly until sauce thickens. Serve immediately over tuna. Believe it or not, this is a Weight Watchers recipe, and may be Atkins friendly also. Points value = 5, 1 gram Carbs.[p]Served the tuna with Pistachio Rice...[p]pistachio-rice.jpg[p](BTW, I didn't manage to git a pic but it was so good, I took a pic of the magazine pic - from Cooking Light, May 2004 issue). [p]2 cups water
1 cup basmati rice
3/4 tsp salt, divided
2 tbsp dried currents or golden raisins
1 1/2 tbsp chopped pistachios
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
2 tbsp pistachio oil
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper[p]Bring water to a boil and add rice and 1/4 tsp salt. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 18 minutes. Remove from heat, fluff rice and add 1/2 tsp salt, currents, pistachios, parsley, oil, and pepper. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.[p]I looked and looked for pistachio oil and couldn't find any, so substituted toasted sesame oil for it. I also didn't have currents, but had some golden raisins and cherries on hand so used those. Not at all for the Atkins group (whopping 33.1g carbs), but very WW friendly at only 4 points per 1/2 cup serving.[p]...and Herbed Carrots & Broccoli[p]herbed-carrots-broccoli.jpg[p](also from CL Magazine, May issue, but modified)[p]3 cups carrot pieces (1 1/2 inch)
3 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp extravirgin olive oil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 minced garlic clove[p]Boil carrots until fork tender (about 5 minutes). Drain and rinse in cold water. In a small dish, combine vinegar, olive oil, oregano, salt, pepper and garlic. Drizzle over veggies, toss, cover and chill until ready to serve. My modifications to this was adding an extra clove of garlic and adding 1/2 - 1 cup of steamed broccoli.[p]Mmmmmm,
Tonia

Comments

• penfresh
    penfresh Posts: 103
    Options
    QBabe,
    my, oh my, that does look good! did you get that tuna at our favorite strip shopping center in Gainesville?
    what wine did ya have with that beautiful meal?
    Penny

• QBabe
    Options
    penfresh,[p]Yep, that's exactly where I got it...[p]As for wine, my standard around the house wine is Rosemont Shiraz, and since I already had an open bottle I resisted the temptation to pick up a new bottle at Dorns so I could finish this one off. I'm thinking a nice white would have been delicious...maybe next time.[p]Tonia
    :~)

• Unknown
    Options
    QBabe, well Babe you seem to have done "really, really good". Sue, my wife will forgive me for this "one" reference to a feller egger by "her" love name: Babe, she has one more and that's Shug...I bet your husband calls you Babe as well, am I right?

• Rodan
    Rodan Posts: 32
    Options
    QBabe,
    That looks really great. I will have to try it. I have had good luck with this recipe also.
    Made a basting solution (recipe courtesy of Groton's Fish):
    1/4 C Fresh Lime Juice
    2 T Olive Oil
    1 Clove Garlic, finely chopped
    1 t grated fresh Ginger (optional..I put it in)
    1 t Dijon Mustard
    1/4 t Salt
    1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
    Whisk together. Brush fish with about 1/3 of dressing and reserve the rest to drizzle over fish after cooking. [p]This works for any firm fish steak. I cooked a small piece of Swordfish at the same time (fish market threw it in free) and it was even better than the Tuna.
    Rod
    I'd upload a pic, but I'm not sure how.

• Joder
    Joder Posts: 57
    Options
    QBabe,
    Boy does that look good! Yesterday at the docks in Pensacola, I saw a fishing boat with 6 large yellow fin tunas hanging. Got hungry.

• QBabe
    Options
    Joder,[p]We have a nice seafood market in Gainesville, FL but no docks for fresh yellowfin. Can they be caught year round? If so, maybe we could convince (bribe?) you to come to the 2005 Florida Eggfest in Ocala and bring some...? [p]Tonia
    :~)[p]

• QBabe
    Options
    Rodan,[p]This one sounds good, too. And, it sounds like there's no cooking involved. I've printed it and added it to the collection of killed trees I'm amassing, LOL![p]Tonia

• QBabe
    Options
    Chet,[p]Yep, and he's pretty happy I got all these eggs and finally learned to cook![p]Tonia

• penfresh
    penfresh Posts: 103
    Options
    QBabe,[p]then it had to be wonderful! You resisted Dorn's? Wow, I am impressed! Love that Shiraz...actually,most Aussie wines suit me just fine.
    I did a meatloaf last night...was so good, but a little too much smoke for the hubby. I always say I married a man with a naugehyde palate! Made great sandwiches.
    Also froze most of the blueberries and made a nice pie this morning. Did some muffins Friday morning. [p]I need to do a Gainesville run-maybe next Saturday! ohhh, I can have breakfast at 43rd st deli.......hum.[p]Penny

• QBabe
    Options
    Penny,[p]What a coincidence...we did meatloaf tonight! It makes really great leftovers, so I've gotten in the habit of doing two at a time and foodsaving individual servings for quick meals and lunches. Served it up with some twice baked potatoes, green beans, and leftover herbed carrots. [p]I use cherry wood for the meatloaf, but I LOVE the smoke flavor it gets (and so does Mr. Hyde). Oak is also very good with beef.[p]If you decide to come to town, let me know...maybe we can grab a cup of coffee.[p]Tonia