Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about steaks on the BGE.....

Options
BGE Dawg
BGE Dawg Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I've cooked a few steaks during my 10 months of BGE ownership, and yes they have been pretty good, however I don't think they are as good as they should be. I started thinking about this while I was eating a ribeye from Stoney River Steak House this past weekend. That steak was very juicy, tender, and full of flavor. My mouth waters just thinking about it.
The steaks I cook on the BGE are good like I said, and fairly tender, but not nearly as tender and juicy as the one described above.
My BGE steaks tend to be charred a little on the outside and fairly dry on the outside. It isn't the most tender steak either. How am I cooking them you may ask? Well, I just have the normal cooking grate that came with it. I don't have a cast iron grate or a "spider" set up or anything like that. I just get the BGE up as high as it will go which is normally about 650 - 700 and I have to leave the daisy wheel off to get it up that high. If I don't, I can only get it up to 550 or so. Should I have to take the dw off to get the temp up that high? It seems to cause the flames to be higher which could be causing the over-charring. I normally cook a thicker steak (1.5 in), normally a ribeye, and sear it at high temp for a couple minutes on each side, lower the temp of the BGE down to 400 or so and roast the inside to my liking (medium). It tends to be pretty good, but nothing like Stoney River.
Any ideas? Recommendations? Pointers?

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Buy better quality beef. Stoney River is using prime grade dry aged beef. You can't compare that to choice cuts from Kroger.

If you want tender, then my recommendation is to use the hot tub method. Vacuum seal the steaks in a bag (or use a zip top if you don't have a sealer) and submerge them in hot tap water (approx 110&deg or so) for an hour. Then salt and sear for 60-90 seconds per side, season, rest, and enjoy.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    It very well could be the quality of the steak at the restaurant was better than what you are cooking. Try cooking a prime grade steak. -RP
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    My guess is their seasoning and dry aged prime beef. Restaurants normally get excellent quality beef. supermarkets get the choice leftovers. Thats what I think.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    first of all, a question for you....what is the quality of the meat you are buying?? no matter how well you are cooking that steak, if you are starting with inferior meat, you are going to get an inferior end product (well, you may get a decent product, but it may not be as good as that restaurant steak if they are starting with a better product than you are). ...

you should at least be grilling choice steaks on your BGE, even prime if you can afford it (but its not necessary to get great flavor)....1 1/2 inches is sufficient thickness....try different cuts, rib-eyes, sirlion/strips, tenderloins . .. don't go crazy on the seasoning. ..go simple, salt and pepper, maybe a little dizzy cow lick or raising the steaks (but not a lot)...let the meat shine through...don't go crazy with extra wood on the fire. ...

sounds like you have fire ok ..yes, you have to remove the daisy wheel to get to high searing temps ...follow the t-rex method....sear a 1 1/2 inch thick steak for 90 seconds per side at 750 degrees, remove for 20 minutes per side to rest while you get the egg down to 400 degrees to finish the steak to your liking....then rest again for 5 minutes prior to slicing to let the juices re-distribute ...

HTH
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    might just be the little things, like the seasoning, the temp you pull at etc. they seem more tender roasted at lower temps like 325/350 than the 400 temp, and the searing temp changes things a little too, i like to sear at 650 on the cast iron, or more like 800 on a regular grill. i salt fairly heavey with coarse kosher salt, and pepper after the sear before the roast so it doesnt burn. find i like ribeyes cooked a little more than other steaks, a strip gets pulled off the grill around 123 a ribeye i let hit 127 so a good therm is necessary for me. i never time the sear, i go by looks so not to char the steak to badly. have you tried the other methods like reverse sear or water bath etc.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • From what I understand, restaurants suck up much of the available "prime" cuts, so what's left in the supermarket troughs range from "choice" to "select", with a liberal variance between the two. I've bought what I hoped was a decent cut of prime ribs, only to have it eat like tough steak. Best thing is to somehow befriend a meat distributor (like Sysco) or your local butcher shop. Happy hunting!!
  • BGE Dawg
    Options
    I usually try to get the best quality I can find at kroger or publix. I'm not an expert on meat quality though. I usually just season with kosher, cracked bp, olive oil, maybe some garlic powder. Sometimes I'll add some cow lick.
  • BGE Dawg
    Options
    I haven't tried other methods. Does a cast iron grate make a difference other than sear marks? I don't understand the whole spider rig that drops the steak deeper into the pit. The flames are kissing the steak on the regular grid as it is. Not sure how sticking in the middle of the flame is going to change anything.
  • Fidel
    Options
    Do yourself a favor. Season it with salt only before you sear it. Apply other seasonings after it cooks as it rests before you cut into it.

Searing heat, hot grids, and flame will burn the olive oil and other seasonings you put on there. If you season after you cook it you get the full flavor of the seasonings and will use less.

I believe you are in the Atlanta area. I can recommend a few quality butcher shops where you can get prime beef at a decent price. Meat at Kroger and Publix around here is notoriously bad. By comparison, Stoney River uses only center cut prime grade midwestern grain fed beef that is dry aged.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    the only advantage i see with the cast iron grid is that you can sear at a lower temp than with the regular grid. i dont like fully charred burnt beef. your burning your other ingrediants though which can make things bitter dont add anything butt salt before searing and fidels right with the beef, i get 45 day dryaged beef when i want something special, at 20 bucks a pound its reasonable compared to the steak houses
    fukahwee maine

• SoonerEggster
    Options
    I'm new, so can't really comment about cooking techniques, but look for steaks with little fine "flakes" of white fat in the muscle itself rather than just big wads of fat outside the muscle.

Unless you simply cook them to death, what you put in the cooker has far more to do with quality than exactly how you cook it. So much of today's beef is tough and stringy and will never be tender. Good luck in finding a reputable supplier.
  • BGE Dawg
    Options
    I'm from the Atl area, but live in Middle TN now. I'll have to search for some butcher shops in the area.

Thanks for the pointers. I had always heard that the olive oil prior to the cook helps sear the steak. I'll try only salt prior to the cook next time.
  • BGE Dawg
    Options
    where can you find 45 day dry aged beef? At a butcher shop I assume?
  • fishlessman
    Options
    we have "the meathouse" up here, they are opening chains pretty quickly now, was just newhampshire and one in maine last year but now are in 6 states
    http://www.themeathouse.com/locations/index.html
    fukahwee maine

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    2 things - as Fidel said hot tub and the other is try dry aged steaks done at home. I couldn't fine Prime so the primal I aged and cut these from was Choice. On Saturday night I egged a couple of these 21 day aged steaks I aged in the DrybagSteak product. Trust me they were TERRIFIC!
    IMG_0663.jpg

Here's a link to DrybagSteak.
    http://www.drybagsteak.com/
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • mrmagoo
    mrmagoo Posts: 12
    Options
    Another pretty good way to get a nice tender flavorful steak is to completely coat the top of an 1"1/2 steak with sea salt one hour prior to cooking. Now some where between 20 minutes and 40 minutes of room temp rest,(depending on your taste for salt) wash the salt completely off under cool water, and then pat it completely dry with paper towels, then season it with fresh cracked pepper. Let it continue to rest at room temp for at least the full hour. I think your cooking method is fine.

Now for the science behind this. First salt is a natural tenderizer. Secondly the salt will pull the natural moisture from the meat (which you would think is bad) but through the process of reverse osmosis the meat will begin to pull that moisture back inside. Thus, you will have a steak that is seasoned completely through with all of it's moisture back in it, (which is now seasoned) rather than just a seasoned crust that has pulled moisture from the center out. Letting steaks come to room temp before the cook is critical because it is essentially a cold muscle. This is some of the theory behind the hot tub method, without all the hassle. EVOO has a flash point of about 475 degrees, if you are cooking above that temp, your basically burning the oil. Oil also promotes flames and could cause over charring. Good char comes from making sure the steak is patted dry. Lastly a good rest after the cook is important.

One last note would be, if you want to add other flavor, such as garlic or fresh herbs, you can incorporate this during the period in which you have the steak SMOTHERED in sea salt. Those flavors will get pulled back in with the moisture.
  • Fidel
    Options
    Your pepper will also burn at those searing temperatures. That is why I advocate salt only until after the sear is done.

Your tip about the osmotic effects of salt is spot on.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    BGE Dawg,

I haven't read all the other posts but I stopped doing the high temp front end sear a long time ago. I cook the steak at 400* until 5-10* below my desired temp , remove, open the vents and give it a quick sear at the end. Resting is really important.
    The beef grde is the most important factor along with the aging time.
    Hot tubbing can really be a positive.
    Letting the steak at least come to room temp as well.
    Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• mrmagoo
    mrmagoo Posts: 12
    Options
    After reading your previous post and rereading my own, I completely agree
  • EggerDan
    EggerDan Posts: 105
    Options
    RRP,
    Thanks for sharing info on the dry bag steak. Always fun to learn different approaches.

Daniel
  • EggerDan
    EggerDan Posts: 105
    Options
    MrMagoo,
    Thanks for sharing. Very nice to see different approaches and eggcellent to then share the rationale.

I learn every day on the forum. :)

Daniel
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Buy a PRIME ribeye,strip,whatever your preference.Wet or Dry age it for 21-28 or more days in an Eggstra fridge.If this is not an option that's O.K.Still buy PRIME!Costco sells it.You can order it online.Let it come to room temp or "hot tub" it.(Po-mans Sous vide)Salt only,Sear at HIGH temp,pull,rest,roast til desired doneness.Season with whatever you like after sear.I personally like an end sear.Cook til 110-115 Internal,pull,let egg get outta control then sear.Do not add seasonings that will burn until AFTER ANY sear whether it be front or end sear! :) The only way to screw up a GOOD quality(PRIME) steak is to overcook it!Remember,you can throw it back on for a couple of minutes,but NOBODY can UNCOOK anything! ;)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Kroger often has select steaks on sale. Be careful when you see really good prices what the quality is. Myself I'm a huge fan of Sam's Club choice steaks. Tend to come three per package. Just right for one for momma half for the kids and 1.5 steaks for me! :woohoo:

I've T-Rexed steaks and for me it charred them a bit too much for my liking. I'm more a 450 ish for 3 minutes per side then shut the Egg down with the steaks in for however long to get the doneness required. Really dead for wife and kids and more or less dead for me.
  • BGE Dawg
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas. I'll try to find some quality cuts and use some of your methods.