Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire in the hole

Options
Fire Walker
Fire Walker Posts: 241
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I learned what not to do last Sat. I have an XL and have cooked on it for the past 3 years succefully, pulled pork, pulled beef, ribs you name it I have tried to cook it. untill Sat. we were hosting a party of 20 people, the food included 4 spatchcock chickens no problem. Raised grid 425 degress dome temp chickens spent the night uncovered in fridge to dry skin. I have done this very same cook a 100 times with a great outcome. Then it happened I overthought the situation nervous about the outcome I decided to add a drip pan into the mix filled with water so the grease would not burn and taint the birds with burned grease taste. about an hour 15min. into the cook the probe read 165 degrees, birds ready to come off. As the guests gathered to get a glipse of there dinner I slowly lifted the lid to reveal the perfectly browned poultry. They were perfect. I lowered the lid to prepare for the extraction process. I slowly lifted the lid again, as I was removing the closest birds the temp was starting to rise quikly by the time I got to the last bird the grease pan egnited into a fireball, I closed the lid as my brother yelled there's still a man in there, I opened the lid one last time another fireball bigger than the last one exploded out. Well to make a long story short The "last man" was unreachable the bird was burned to a crisp, The good thing was we didn't burn the deck or house down. I guess the moral of the story is if your going to use a drip pan in a high heat cook don't or make sure it has or holds enough liquid for the entire cook because once that liquid is gone you have a bomb waiting to blow up.
FireWalker

Comments

• edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Options
    I think the real moral is not to experiment in front of guests!
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    Bottom line for me is not the house or deck but the chef not writing from the hospital. Sorry about the lost bird and burnt pride but thank God-- YOU ARE OKAY. That's my take.
  • SoonerEggster
    Options
    Gee! Scared me! I have been looking at an egg and pondering the use of drip pans. I guess you'd pretty much need to use them or have a mess of grease in the bottom huh if you cooked a pork but or something (especially a goose!). Well, you almost cooked a goose with that spectacular event!

I saw someone do something sort of on that line once at a party. The guy was mortified and to break the stunned silence among the guests I said "Gee. Can you do that again? I sorta missed the first part." Everyone laughed and he felt better. Probably.

GLAD you are ok!!!! Just think of the bird as a sacrifice "fly"!
  • Fire Walker
    Fire Walker Posts: 241
    Options
    Drip pans work well in low temp 200 to 275 degrees cooks like pulled pork, ribs and pulled beef.It's the high temps above 350 degrees that you have to be careful with.
    FireWalker
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Great post! Thanks for the tip. :)
  • EggerDan
    EggerDan Posts: 105
    Options
    Agree. Glad to hear you're ok and thanks a lot for sharing.

Daniel

PS too bad no pics...... :laugh:
  • Ricklesss
    Ricklesss Posts: 391
    Options
    FireWalker,
    hey, glad your ok, and not burned!
    To tell you the truth, I did not know that about the danger with drip pan and temps over 350.
    So...you learned me...and I appreciate it!