Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Star peeler,kinda OT

Options
Serial Griller
Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A few weeks ago there was a story on 60 minutes about a guy that sold peelers on the streets of New York City for $5 ea.Not many people thought he could make much of a living doing that but 60 minutes showed he sold thousands of them and lived in an upscale apartment building.He died but now his daughter is selling them on the street.
Anyway I bought one regular star peeler and one that juliennes from http://www.simplygoodstuff.com/star_peeler.html
for about $13 for both, free shipping.
This thing peels kiwi & butternut squash with ease.You can use the handle for removing seeds from zuccini/cucumber and a little thing on the side for removing potato eyes.I love this peeler.
Also here is a recipe for healthy Raw Shaved Asparagus salad that will work with any sharp peeler.
salad link http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/shaved-raw-asparagus-with-parmesan-dressing
Star Peelers
P1010035-6.jpg
shaved asparagus
P1010036-5.jpg
plated
P1010037-4.jpg

Comments

• azbbguy
    azbbguy Posts: 191
    Options
    That guy was a hell of a salesman, that is forsure. There are a few videos of him, hawking his peelers.

I actually had a few of these, and like them. I just bought 4 for my grandmother on ebay for 9.99. She likes them, as they are easy on her hands.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Thx for the link Jon.

Mike
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Interesting guy. Here's the vid from Today's American Story. Dude lived on PARK AVE!! Nice place. :) Selling $5 peelers!!

The guy doing the interview asked him if he ever took a vacation. He said, "Life is a vacation." We should all be so fortunate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Krusn0Mo3Po&feature=related

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Thanks Jon. Looks like the old style peelers I grew up with but with some accessories added.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE