Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vidalia Onion Pie

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have the recipe for the pie but it doesn't say whether it is to be cooked direct or indirect. Can anyone help?

Comments

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    When I've made mine, I've done them in the oven. Like I've said before, I'm not convinced this dish benefits much, if at all, from being done in the egg. Heck, the only thing you have exposed is the top of the pie! That being said, I'd mimick baking in an oven- which IMO would mean doing an INDIRECT cook. (BTW - I've always had something else on the egg when I wanted the pie and I currently only have a large.)
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    Don S,[p]I did two of them last week indirect on plate setters. They are very good and I will be doing them again soon. I think I am going to try the tomato pie tomorrow. Jersey tomatos are in now and it doesn't get much better than that.[p]Chuck

• penfresh
    penfresh Posts: 103
    Options
    Pakak,
    that light smoke taste on the crust is sublime-and ya can't get that in the oven!
    Penny

• Unknown
    Options
    Don S,
    You are smart to ask FIRST. I just baked by first pie. I just assumed that the crust needed to be crisp, so cooked direct. The crust was totally chared, just like lump. The filling however, was very tasty. I guess now I know, next time I will go indirect. Hope your pie turns out just right.

• MR H
    MR H Posts: 109
    Options
    espnga,
    THANK YOU for this info. I have one to bake in 10 more minutes[p]
    Howard in Bartow