Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with pizza temp and bake times

Angie2B
Angie2B Posts: 543
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello to everyone in eggdom!

Ok I have all the fixins for a pizza ready. Will someone tell me their favorite egg temp and how long to bake a non-deep dish pizza? TIA

Comments

• Hi,

I cook between 550 and 600 for 8-10 minutes. Remember to heat your stone up with the Egg so it's nice and hot, and to use spacers between the stone and plate setter (I use the green feet that came with the Egg, but balls of tin foil will work fine too). Also, the more 'stuff' you put on your pizza, the longer it will take for the crust to cook properly and evenly.

The technique I use is described in more detail in this post on our blog. http://www.fearlesskitchen.com/2009/09/recipe-pizza-party-guest-post-from-fearless-grill.html

Good luck,

-John
  • Angie2B
    Awweeesome! That is just the info I was looking for. I bought my eggs years ago in order to do pizza and this is the first time I have tried it. Go figure. Thanks for the great info. --Angie
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Many experienced Eggers would reccomend the BGE pizza stone, elevated above the plate setter(legs down)by putting the green feet in between. In my opinion, parchment doesn't allow for as good a texture on bottom as going straight on the stone.

IMG_2661.jpg
  • mnwalleye
    mnwalleye Posts: 226
    I do mine the same way, and use cornmeal instead of parchment, because for the texture.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Angie,

My couple pennies will confuse you to death. Pizza baking is really a science. The temp, time, and setup are determined by the hydration level of your dough, the sugar content, how thick you make it, and how many toppings you plan to use.

The advice listed in the other responses are good for starters, but keep an eye on it. Your dough may need to cook longer, hotter, faster, or at lower temps. If the toppings get done and the bottom isn't crispy you need to go hotter. If the bottom gets done and the cheese isn't quite as melted/browned as you want then you need to cool it about 50° and raise it in the dome a couple inches.

If the dough gets crisp but doesn't brown then you either need to go hotter or add some/more sugar to your dough recipe.

For example, my "go to" recipe needs to cook at 550° for 14-15 minutes. Tonight I am using a different dough and setup that will cook at 850-900° for 3-4 minutes as high in the dome as I can get it.

Sorry to confuse, but I have cooked thousands upon thousands of pizzas and have experimented quite a bit with setups and dough recipes. If you would like more help specific to your setup and recipe let me know.
  • Bacchus
    I don't know Fidel, some others might challenge your knowledge, claiming to know everything. Then of course there is the King. B)
  • Fidel
    Some people cook a grand total of one pizza on the egg and feel qualified to give advice.
  • Bacchus
    I just wanna know when I will be eating Paella again.. :whistle:
  • Angie2B
    Why oh why haven't I been egging pizza before now? I made two. The first one was perfect, just a touch of smoky flavor--Yumm. My temp dropped a little on the second. I should have waited for it to come back up. I ended up letting it go too long and the crust was a little too done for me. (It still got ate, just wasn't as good as the first one.) Thanks to everyone for the advice, I will definitely try this again soon. :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Interesting about the sugar, thanks for the post.

I am presuming dome temps and not stone temps?

GG
  • Fidel
    Always dome temps....and always pre-heat for 30-40 minutes after you get the dome temp up to your cooking target.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Keep at it..ya gotta love it..
    eggcr.jpg
  • Thats some kind a pizza stone Wess, got heft...

Doug
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    It's just a BGE stone...