Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Limiting Smoke

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There are a few pieces of meat that seem to me to take on too much smoke to suit me. (Chicken, Turkey, Pork Tenderloin etc)[p]I am considering simply foiling it at some early point in the cook. Not sure how long to let it smoke though.[p]I hear that after a time, it has taken all of the smoke it will take.[p]I would like to foil before the saturation point.[p]Any thoughts will be appreciated.[p]Kyle[p]

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    KL,
    i've found that there are lots of things that i don't want 'smokey' . . .best thing i've learned to do is
    1. fresh lump
    2. no wood
    3. and most important, a really well established fire. . .sometimes i'll let the fire get established for as long as an hour before putting certain foods on, if i'm really trying to avoid a really smokey flavor but still enjoying the 'rustic' flavor that the egg provides. . .

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    KL,
    As I understand what the experts have been saying, the chemical reaction which forms the smoke ring only takes place up until the meat temperature reaches something like 140 degrees. However, smoke flavor is added to the meat as long as there is smoke in the cooker.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Rafterdude
    Rafterdude Posts: 39
    Options
    KL,
    I agree with max on the well established fire thing. Wait until the smoke from the egg is gone or wispy blue in color, this helped for me. Also consider changing lump, i think some lumps are definetly stronger in flavor than others. Someone else suggested to leave the daisey wheel off and to control the heat with the lower damper only, thus less smoke. Good luck!
    Craig

• Unknown
    Options

Thanks to all who replied. I think this forum is the best thing since sliced bread.[p]This group is always very helpful and I appreciate it.[p]KL