Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick ET73 alarm settings

500 Posts: 3,177
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What do you think is a good low and high alarm for the smoker probe settings on the Maverick ET73? Got a new Maverick and gearing up for a 2 Butt overnight cook, my first overnight cook, but my second Butt cook.
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Set the alarms too close to target and it will drive you nuts. I usually go from 20° - 30° above and below.

GG
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I set the smoker alarms at 210 and 280. I aim for a 240-250 dome temp and clip the maverick probe to the dome thermometer.

I set the meat alarm at 200.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Ditto on those temps above.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
    500 Posts: 3,177
    I was thinking 20 below and 20 above. So that seems right. Was wondering if it would recover at all by itself (given all other factors are put in place that need to be; clean Egg, lump stacking, stabilized 250 dome, all that.)

I'm using a medium sized binder clip to attach the pit probe to the Egg dome probe. I have good reception from the Egg to the bedroom nightstand.

Mrs. 500 thinks the alarms will keep her up for this one. She saw the receiver on the nightstand from my practice run today and said "Are you gonna sleep with that thing next to the bed?" I said, "Yea, that's the idea." This is only my second long cook. The first one I got up at 5am to light the Egg. That one took 11 hours for an 8.5# Butt to get to 195.

I'd like it to take it off and let it rest an hour before pulling it and serving but I guess I can't time it just perfect every time by what I've heard here. Every Butt takes it's own time, so it could be 11 hours, it could be 14 hours, right? No definitive answer? It's done when it's done?
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009