Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first attemp at salmon on the egg

Options
CAEggFan
CAEggFan Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooking tips? Best practices?

Also looking for a great salmon glaze. Any suggestions I should try?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    Planked
    IMG_3296800x600.jpg

Not planked
    IMG_3403800x600.jpg

Whether you plank or grill, look for the beads of fat to indicate that the fish is done. I like to use honey for a glaze. I bet googling salmon glaze would find a few more.

Good luck with it.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Salmon is an easy cook and hard to mess up. Do a search for salmon on here and you will get plenty of ideas.
    One of the best recipes is the Dizzy Pig way. Raging River rub followed by maple syrup/butter glaze. Check out dizzypig.com They show it direct, but I do it indirect on a cedar plank.
    Another real easy one is a mixture of one par spicy brown mustard to two parts brown suger, make a paste and spread it on your salmon. Place salmon on soaked cedar plank and grill indirect @ 375 degrees to internal temp of 135-140. Note, put salmon on plank skin side down, do not turn for both of these cooks.
    There are many other ways, these are just two of my favorites, Enjoy! :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Haven't tried this on the egg yet, but it was excellent when I cooked it in my oven.

http://recipes.epicurean.com/recipe/8880/salmon-bake-with-pecan-crunch-coatiing.html

This is not my pic, but it ought to give you an idea...

389812293_be12640e61_b.jpg

If you decide to try it, let us know how it worked out on the egg. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Bonehead
    Bonehead Posts: 113
    Options
    I just did my first salmon and used this recipe from dp
    http://dizzypigbbq.com/recipesSalmon.html

DSCF4955.jpg
    DSCF4959.jpg
  • I like a true Teriyaki, which is not a marinade. This is a cooked glaze, something like 2 parts shoyu (a good one, Kikkoman or Yamada) with a wine called Mirin. This is a sweetened sake available at Korean, Chinese and Japanese groceries. Most towns have an oriental grocery and it's worth looking it up. IF NO MIRIN, use some corn syrup or honey and dry sherry or regular sake mixed. Add ginger juice; this is a slice of fresh ginger pressed or crushed in a mortar and pestle. Throw the whole mix into a small sauce pan and cook down to a glaze, taste, correct seasoning. Brush this on the fish near the end of cooking and let it cook on for a bit.