Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corned beef brisket help

captaincraigb
captaincraigb Posts: 58
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm planning a low and slow on a 5.5 lb corned beef brisket. any ideas about how long and temp? does beef plateau like pork? do i take it up to 200? thanks for any help

Comments

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    captaincraigb,
    I have cooked 2 corned beef briskets on the egg. I have not had very good luck with this meat. Both times it came out way too salty tasting. You might try cooking it the old fashion way, simmering in water for a long time then going on to the egg for awhile. Good luck.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    BajaTom, try cooking to 165 internal, chill, and slice thin. makes good pastrami sandwiches

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • CR
    CR Posts: 175
    captaincraigb, I have only done a corned beef in order to make pastrami. In that case you would smoke at about 225 until internal temp is 160 or so. Let cool in refrigerator until next day before slicing/eating.

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    captaincraigb,
    Only tried one. I made the mistake of adding some seasoning to it...and it was too salty to eat. Tossed the whole thing.[p]Mike in MN[p]PS If I would ever try another one, I'd soak it in plain water for awhile and limit the seasonings....as in NO salt.

• KevinH
    KevinH Posts: 165
    captaincraigb,[p]From the other comments, it sounds like it should be treated like a country ham: soak it in water for a few days (or maybe just hours for the corned beef) before smoking. It removes the excess salt that was used for cooking. The normal method for simmering corned beef in water is what removes the salt in traditional cooking.