Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

is there a way to cook closer to fire??

Memphistide
Memphistide Posts: 207
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have seen the ring that you can purchase, but is there a home remedy to being able to lower a smaller grate closer to the fire for a good hard sear?

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    You can put the meat right on the coals without a grid. -RP
  • Memphistide
    Memphistide Posts: 207
    i would rather find a way to lower a grid
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    you can always just remove the fire ring and that will get you closer.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Taking out the fire ring or simply filling up with more lump will get the fire closer to the meat.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Fire Walker
    Fire Walker Posts: 241
    On my XL I bought a cheap weber grill it fits loosly directly on firebox.
    Firewalker
  • otisdog
    otisdog Posts: 187
    I bought a small grid (16"I think) at academy sports. I planned to use it for a raised grid up in the dome but it turns out that it will just sit on the ledge of the fire box while leaving the fire ring in place. That puts it at lump level. It's not the most stable thing in the world but works fine for steaks. $8.00.
  • Kenny 13
    Kenny 13 Posts: 321
    Memphistide wrote:
    i would rather find a way to lower a grid

I can understand that, but keep in mind that throwing a steak directly on the coals is a serious option that can be done with fantastic results. I wouldn't do it on a grill with briquettes, but I wouldn't have to think twice about doing it with lump because there's less ash. Just brush off any ash when they're done.

Check this out:

http://www.barbecuebible.com/featured/recipe/ultimate_grilling_caveman_tbon.php
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

For searing steaks put the meat directly on the red hot coals, works great and there is no ash on the meat - caveman style.

With a large egg pick up a Spider or make something like a spider.

Here is the spider in use with a Dutch Oven. The spider is inverted for this use. Turn it over and the cook level is at the lump level.
    chili1.jpg

For searing steaks I use the grid out of my medium egg. With the dome at 350° - 400° the heat at the grid is 900° depending on the height of the lump and if the burn is fully across the lump bed.

One could pick up some steel rod and make something that would work, another person has used some 'rebar' but the adjustable rig from tjv is one of the best accessories I have bought. I use it all the time.

GG
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    832900ae.jpg

Sure there is.... after seeing Alton cook atop a bed of coals I wanted to give it a try, but I was honestly scared about tossing a $12 steak into the embers. So I got some stainless expando from work and trimmed it down to size, and used that as my buffer. So, I guess you could say I was 1/16" above the coals. Heheee.

a8f53e1f.jpg

That was the first and last time I tried that action.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    You could, of course, always bring the fire closer to the meat. Just fill it with lump and you'll be cooking within an inch of the coals.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Just depends on where ya put youre egg...

DSC00047.jpg

Seriously..you got good answers already, and i'm just kinda playin..