Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to can i cut up small apple logs for soaking??

Options
Always Smokin
Always Smokin Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a bunch of apple wood from a local farmer and it is very tough to chop and chunk it up into smaller pieces. I have been using wedges,drilling hammer,ax,hatchet. I cant seem to hold it in place very good to hit it clean without it being a lil dangerous. . plus this stuff is hard hard wood.
any ideas?
thanks

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Is it still green?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I used my bandsaw to cut up some maple. I suppose, if you're careful, you could use a hand held circular saw, but watch out for kickback. Even a bow saw would be better than the tools you mentioned.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    I cut my apple logs in about 3" pieces,then split them with a hatchet.The shorter pieces seem to split pretty easy ;)I use a chop saw(miter saw) to cut them to length.I guess it all depends on how big your logs are :ohmy: :)
  • Always Smokin
    Options
    the wood is not green at all. the logs are from 3-5 inches
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    you've received good advice - now lets get back to the rest of your question...why are you soaking the wood? There is no need to do that nor any benefit in doing so.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Always Smokin
    Options
    i get lump ready and then put the chunked pieces on top of the lump. i thought i was supposed to soak the wood chunks for smoking??
  • Inksmyth
    Inksmyth Posts: 308
    Options
    Use a bow saw to cut into 3" to 4" pieces. They will split easily with a hatchet.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Nope. No need to soak.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I use a sawzall.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    no - if you soak the wood then the heat first needs to dry the wood before it can start to smoke. With the BGE the amount of oxegen to fuel the fire is controlled so you don't need to soak. The only exception that I ever make to the no soak rule is when I know that my set up will be taking a while which may allow an already hot fire to become a blast furnace during set up. Then to bring the temp down I'll throw some soaked CHIPS on the hot coals.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.