Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

GETTIN READY 8.5 # PORK BUTT

Options
Always Smokin
Always Smokin Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
GETTIN READY 8.5# PORK BUTT.IMG_4410.jpg
1.DP COARSE GRIND WITH MUSTARD SLATHER.
2. IN BAG OVER NITE WITH 3/4 CUP APPLE JUICE AND 1/4 CIDER VINERGAR.
3.19 HOURS LATER INJECT WITH MIXTURE FROM OVER NITE BAG
4.OUT OF BAG ON COUNTER WITH SOME MORE RUB FOR 1 HOUR GETTIN CLOSER TO ROOM TEMP.
5. PUTTIN IT ON AT 210-220 FOR A WHILE
HOPE TO HAVE IT FOR LUNCH ON SAT.
ILL KEEP YA POSTED

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I would suggest 235° grid or 250° dome...If you try dome temp at the numbers you mentioned it will never get done, and it will be a good fight to maintain...For future reference...why just cook one butt..put as many as you can fit in there, it wont take any longer and you can foodsaver and freeze leftovers...good luck and enjoy the pulled pork...
  • Always Smokin
    Options
    THANKS WESS
    WILL DO
  • popagar0
    popagar0 Posts: 136
    Options
    let us all know how that turns out. looks like you got a good 1 to eat on saturday!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Looks pretty darn good, looking forward to seeing the results.

BTW, is your keyboard broken or cap's key stuck. :)

GG
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Yeah, but leftover pulled pork is never as good as fresh off the grill. Not even close. I only do one at a time and vac seal/freeze what I can't stuff down my throat. I thaw and reheat the leftovers only when I REALLY don't want to bother cooking.I have to be desperate for a quick meal. It's filling, but that's all I'll say for it.

IMO, a waste of good butt to cook more than you can eat at one sitting. Makes it tough when you're cooking for one! Who can eat 6 lbs of pork?! :)

I know, I know... I'm in the minority.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WessB
    Options
    My foodsavered pulled pork is just as good as fresh off the egg, not sure what you are experiencing that makes you feel thats it's not good....foodsaver it right away, take it out when needed and either throw it in a pan of boiling water or nuke it slowly..works for me anyway...
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Wess, I have mixed it with sauce in a saucepan, nuked it in the bag and simmered the bag in hot water. The only thing I haven't yet tried is heating it with Coke. Guess I'll try that next cuz, to me, a Big Mac tastes better than reheated butt - and that just ain't right!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WessB
    Options
    I have only reheated while still sealed in the foodsaver bag retaining all the original moisture, so I can't comment on the use of sauces or liquids.....your closing comment was so true...a Big Mac tastes better than reheated butt - and that just ain't right!!
  • Always Smokin
    Options
    OK. Holdin at 335 for now , used some pecan and local apple wood.
  • WessB
    Options
    I hope that was a typo....335..you want 235
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    haha - my son and I were traveling a while back and stopped at McDonald's. First and, I think, only time I've been there since I got my egg. It was unbelievable how truly awful it was!! :sick:

As for the butt, I still have a pound or two in the freezer. Maybe next time I'll mix some Bomba in with it! :lol:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Always Smokin
    Options
    yea 235 .. man and only on the second beer
  • WessB
    Options
    LOL...it's all good...and I assume you are meaning grid temp....do you know what a wiggle rod is and how to use one...it will almost insure a safe overnight burn...
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Michael,

The McRib is a thing of beauty! Do they still have those?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Always Smokin
    Options
    know nothing about the wiggle rod.??
    i have had good luck with overnite burns cooking briskets for 19+ hours before at similar temps.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Canadians - true gourmets! :lol:

As for your question, I have no idea. I've never had one anyway.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Options
    You get more flavor if you let the rub melt into the meat. Use the mustard for a hot dog.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    My kinda guy! :) Never could see the point in mustard on a butt.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WessB
    Options
    Wrong place..but I saw it..a wiggle rod can be made out something as simple as a coat hanger...you want something resesmbling an "L" with the short end being around 2" ...before going to bed stick it in the lower vent and up trough the holes in the charcoal grate, and wiggle it from side to side, you will see ash and some embers fall through, hit as many holes as you can find and set your vent back to where you had it stabalized...now you don't have to worry about a fire going out due to clogged grate holes....If you need a better explanation feel free to ask..
  • Always Smokin
    Options
    Oh that thing .IMG_4411.jpg i have one . here is the pic.
    my old fork. it cleans ashes out from the bottom and i pick the holes out. didnt know it was a wiggle rod.
    thanks appericiate any info u got
  • WessB
    Options
    That'll do it....might wanna fold flat them last 2 tongs to get to the holes nearer the edge of the firebox...wiggle away...LOL
  • Always Smokin
    Options
    I also clean the egg out good before long smokes and I try to put some bigger chunks of lump on the bottom of my lump pile
  • MelissaB
    MelissaB Posts: 4
    Options
    Great tips! Yall are funny!
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Mustard is for hotdogs & turkey sandwiches, Coca Cola is for drinkin. :silly:
    The best way I have found to heat leftover frozen PP is in a covered saute pan(no liquid)on high. :blink:
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    git r dun! Lookin' good.