Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blues Hog Vs. Smokey Mountain Smokers BBQ Sauce

Hungry in Lilburn
Hungry in Lilburn Posts: 756
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I went by the mothership to pick up some butt rub and happen to ask the guys behind the counter if they had Blues Hog in stock. They said no and immediately showed me a bottle of Smokey Mountain Smokers BBQ Sauce. I asked them if they had ever tried to carry the Blues Hog and they said no, that they like this sauce better. They said it had deeper tones and a smoother finish (is BBQ sauce like fine wine, palet, verital and finish?) which makes it better. Since I had the billfold out anyway (hazard of visiting the mothership) I bought a bottle. If it is that good I may not need to order Blues Hog. I bought some Sweet Baby Ray's at Krogers this am and will compare the two.

Anyone got an opinion on the Smokey Mountain BBQ Sauce?

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    They have tried to carry Blues Hog but had issues with shipping.
    Like 1/2 thier order was broken when it came in. That has been a few years ago though.

Mike
  • OIC. Let me go in there and sample this sauce and see how it tastes.
  • This stuff is good!! It is sweet without being overpowering. It has just enough heat that I can serve it to my sister-in-law and maybe even my wife who are very heat sensitive and not have them turned off. It starts on the front of your tongue and then finishes strong on the back of the tongue. It reminds me of an Australian Shiraz. I think I will skip the Blues Hog order and just use this! Maybe when I come back I will go buy another couple of bottles to keep them on hand.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Shiraz is one of my favorites. I'm glad you got the correlation.

That was me that told you to try it and I am always trying to give reccomendations that will help folks out.

Wait until you try it on some food. I did ribs last night in the class and used it. Almost everyone bought a bottle.
  • Beernuts
    Beernuts Posts: 71
    I love Smokey Mountain Smokers sauce - whenever I run out I go up to the mother ship and load up

I like Sweet Baby Rays and when I buy in the grocery store that is what I get, but the Smokey MOuntain is so much better
  • Well hello! I should have introduced myself but I didn't want to take up your time plus there was a lot of folks in there. Crowds make me nervous. Everytime I go in there I get good advice, never been led wrong. I actually ended up canceling most of the appointments I had today and I am smoking a butt for sister-in-law today, that is why I had to zip out of there. I will be back to buy the 4 bags in a couple of weeks when I get back in the country. Again, thanks for the suggestion and I hope to take your class real soon.

Keith
  • Well, I had my wife call her sister and invite them to come over tonight and eat some of the pulled pork I am making them (it is payment for them babysitting my felines)and I will test the SMSbbq on them tonight!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Is this going out to the BGE dealers?

GG
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    I like the Rays when I cook pulled pork. It is light tasting and works well with the pork. Blues Hog has a lot more flavor and overpowers the pulled pork. I like the hog on ribs.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I agree Al, Blues is great on ribs and chicken but not on PP. -RP
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Too strong. I discovered Ray's when I did PP and brought it to work. I wanted the cheapest sauce. I couldn't believe how good it worked with the PP.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Gonna be doing another BBQ class in May, you might want to check that out.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Did someone say Shiraz? :P
    Go ahead and get the BH. Variety is a great thing!
    I'd like to try some of the Smokey mountian stuff myself. :)
  • LOL! Well, I can tell you that it pairs real well with shiraz, but I only had Yellow Tail in the house. It seems to follow the same theme that the bone knawing finger licking manly men like the smoke, seasoning and Smokey Mountain Smokers BBQ sauce and the womenfolk and sissy men like the milder stuff. Granted this was a small sample of only two men and two women and it may not past the statistical analysis hurdle to be a legitimate sample size but it works for me. Acutally a previous poster was probably more right, Sweet Baby Ray's might be better for pulled pork and SMSBBQ would be great on ribs, chicken and beef. Actually, I am going to stick to Williamson Bros Mustard Sauce for my Pulled Pork and their tomato based sauce for my chicken stew. It is tangy.
  • I quit buying Yellow Tail when I heard they support PETA. Too many other good wines to make it an issue IMHO.