Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT Questions

Options
OttawaEgg
OttawaEgg Posts: 283
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Greetings fellow eggers!

So, I'm doing a whack of ABTs tomorrow (might even christen my new egg with them ... hmmmmmm)

Here's the plan so far:

24 jalepenos, slit in half, seeds out, stem on
I have some smoked ham that I intend to use
1/2 will have cream cheese, the other half I'll use "velveeta" (sorta like cheezewhiz, but about the consistency of cream cheese)
I'll fill the puppies, push them back together and wrap in bacon (I intend to "roll" the bacon out so its a bit thinner - is that a good idea????)
Wrap them in bacon, toothpick

Indirect at about 350, drip pan - AND some mesquite.

Ok - comments ????

Cheers!

Comments

• reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    The way you're doing it will work. The way I do mine is a little different. Usually I do pulled pork or whatever leftover meat is around.
    Slice the top off the jalapeno, core with an apple corer, cut pepper in 1/2, spoon a small amount of cream cheese in the bottom of the jalapeno, put the meat on top and then lay a strip of bacon the length of the jalapeno on top (no toothpick needed), dust the bacon with any rub you want and cook them at 325, raised grid, direct for about 30-40 mins. Check them at 30 to see how done the bacon is. People seem to like them done in 1/2 instead of a whole jalapeno. Makes nicer appetizers.

I cook these on a screen to make it easy to take on and off the egg.
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Tim,
    I leave mine in half. That will give you 48 of them.
    I cut the tops off, slit in two, clean seeds and veins out. Once you have filled them, give them a dose of rub before you wrap. When you place on the grill, try and have the pepper down to help reduce the amount of cheeze from seeping out.
    Not sure if you need smoke. I'll leave that to you to decide.
  • Clam
    Clam Posts: 117
    Options
    Hi Anne,

I am assuming you slice the jalapeno lengthwise - not across. I would like to try your method next time I make them.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    unlike others here I don't lop off the end - instead undercut the "doily" - that way the melted cheese stays in the boat instead of running out. Click on the picture for a slide show.
    th_IMG_1083.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Clam
    Clam Posts: 117
    Options
    That is the way I'll try them next time

thank you,

Neil
  • OttawaEgg
    OttawaEgg Posts: 283
    Options
    Thanks for the help and slidshow - that's how I'll do them for sure! :cheer:
  • Memphistide
    Memphistide Posts: 207
    Options
    sounds good, but I like to open grill them briefly before serving to get that bacon really crispy
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I cut the bacon in 1/2 instead of using 1 strip per pepper half, this fits perfectly around the jalepeno, no toothpick needed. I don't think rolling the bacon will help, just stretch it out a little as you are wrapping.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    Options
    thank you RRP great slide show

Patti
  • TorontoMike
    Options
    I also don't use toothpicks. Half bacon stretched around a half jalapeno holds it together well as long as I start with the pepper side down and cheese side up. I smoke 'em but grill them high for a few minutes at the end to crisp up the bacon.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Tim,

Lotta Canucks here tonight. I do mine the same way with respect to the slitting. Take out some of the seeds and membrane with a teaspoon. I will pick out the smaller chilis. I always mix shredded cheese with the cream cheese. Velveeta, I didn't know you could buy it in Canada. Cheese that doesn't need refrigeration scares me a bit :huh: . I let the bacon warm up a bit and run the back of a knife over it to stretch. Cut off about 1/4 of it and use the cut for something else.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I just slit mine as well, removing the seeds.
    Now if I could only find some that werent already rotting in the store I'd be happy.