Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Fiddleheads are up

Cpt'n CookCpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
edited 9:25AM in EggHead Forum
here in balmy Central Mass. Very early this year.
DSC_0002-11.jpg

DSC_0001-9.jpg

Comments

• Car Wash MikeCar Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Refresh my memory, what do you do with those things?

Mike
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    I think they are edible and pretty tasty, but can be poisonous if prepared incorrectly.
    At least thats what I saw on T.V. ;) Andrew Zimmern I think it was.
  • They are delicious!
  • Cpt'n CookCpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    I have eaten them for years without a problem. They do get toxic if allowed to mature. They should be picked as soon as they pop up and boiled for ten minutes, although I have eaten them sauted.
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,483
    you just got me hungry. was looking at some i transplanted, they look small but should pop any day. :) maine must be getting close, ill have to check in at the little store on the way up
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,483
    those things are great just sauted up with a little garlic and butter. the season is short, it lasts 3 maybe 4 weeks starting in southern mass and finishing in northern maine. people keep the areas secret where they grow and you will see folks walking down the sides of the road searching them out. they are kinda like baby asparagus with more flavor. they have a following similar to morel mushrooms
    heres a pie i did a couple years back

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=293248&catid=1
  • MaineggMainegg Posts: 7,787
    I have an Uncle that does KILLER fiddle head pickles.. lots of garlic and hot peppers. very, very good!!
  • Does it matter what species of fern you pick? I have several types in my yard, Christmas fern, Hayscented fern, Cinnamon fern and probably a few others that I can't identify.
  • NU2BBQNU2BBQ Posts: 98
    Yummy, I wish I could find a place where they are growing nearby, as the price is quite high at the local store.