Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump reducing ring for XL

Options
Primeggister1
Primeggister1 Posts: 379
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How is it? How would you set up the egg to cook? Do you need a Woo ring aswell? How close is the hot coals to the grid? Is it bottom of fire ring?

Please advise,

Wondering if I should make one.

Marc

Comments

• danothemano
    Options
    I use it for direct cooks. Use it quite frequently. I use the regular cooking grid and sometimes the elevated rack. When full of lump, the coals are no higher than the fire box. Cooked some burgers to perfection last night using the lump reducer ring. Have also done spatchcock chicken, brats, fish and shrimp. No issues and use less lump
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    it's just like normal xl grilling, just on a smaller scale. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Primeggister1
    Options
    Which lump reducing ring do you have
  • Primeggister1
    Options
    Which ring do you have?
  • azbbguy
    azbbguy Posts: 191
    Options
    You can use it with the triangle hanger, fitted with a 13-15" CI grid as well.
  • EggerDan
    EggerDan Posts: 105
    Options
    Here are a couple of pics that I'm using for a reducing ring cooking a hot tubbed NY strip. The reducing ring is a piece of 12 inch SS pipe cut ~3.5 inches. This allows me to install a grid on the fire box without the fire ring (using a smaller grid than the original due to the smaller diameter at this point). And I can still cook with a grid on top of the fire ring.
    IMG_4985.jpg
    IMG_4990.jpg
    IMG_4991.jpg

Daniel
  • danothemano
    Options
    I purchased the open ring lump reducing ring from the ceramic grill store with the triangular hanger for searing with the use of a smaller cooking grid which I had for use with my elevated rack
  • baldeagle7007
    Options
    How long can you cook @ 400º with the Lump reducing ring ?
    I think it holds about approx. 3-4 pounds of lump per CGS website!

Thanks in advance,
    Jim

"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."

XL
    MiniMax
    MHP Gasser
    Thermoworks Smoke & Thermapen
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    How long can you cook @ 400º with the Lump reducing ring ?
    I think it holds about approx. 3-4 pounds of lump per CGS website!

Thanks in advance,
    Keep in mind, you still need to heat the entire XL .....not going to save you anything except on hot and fast direct cooks where you are just looking to sear in one spot.
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    I built mine from expanded metal 3 years ago.  Use it for all cooks that take less than 3-4 hours.  I can move it towards front to sear, as I usually have a 1/2 stone on rear.  Gives me both indirect and direct at same time!
    Lump burns very efficient and don’t end up with so many small pieces at end of a cook!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    It's more than just saving lumps, or not, depending on how you look at it, to each his own. I have three SS rings of varying heights.  Couple of examples:
    1) having direct and indirect zones at the same time: (p.s. before anyone raises concern over cross contamination, I didn't use the same tongs)

2) when cooking long slabs of ribs or brisket, there's less chance of charring the ends that overhang the platesetter.
    canuckland
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options

I have both of the CGS reducing rings for my xl and really like them for cooks like chicken or steak or even baby backs    I have used both direct and indirect   They also keep the outer holes in my unit uncovered which adds to airflow.  I would prefer the one with rings if only had one.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston