Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

iodized table salt

fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,734
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
dont think ive bought it in the last ten or so years, is it still a concern to get the iodine in your system or do you get enough eating out once a week with junk food
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    I don't and have never add salt to any of my recipes except in baking. There is plenty of salt in everything we eat. No need to be concerned about the iodine. At least that's what my doctor told me.
  • what do you mean?
    I don't and have never add salt to any of my recipes except in baking.
    are you saying you don't use any salt when cooking?
    If you, for instance, make chicken soup from scratch, you add no salt?
  • fishlessman
    just wondering, i dont eat much prepared anything anymore, maybe a can of tomatoes for something once a week, or one lunch at a burger or chinese place a week. dont want to screw up the thyroid or get gout or something
    fukahwee maine

• I don't know if all the salts used in commercial cooking are Iodized. Years ago it was determined that our diet in the US was severely lacking in Iodine so it became an additive to common table salt. There are many varieties of salt available and one that does not contain Iodine is labled "Kosher". I've read that when seasoning, a pinch of regular, fine grain salt will have more potency than a pinch of the coarser grain variety. Anyway, no matter what's been said, most foods taste better with salt...and that includes margaritas (just ask Jimmy)!
  • fishlessman
    theres the thing, one of the biggest sources of iodine is commercially prepared food, i dont eat that regularly, maybe once a week. dont think im geting enough from natural foods either as the ones high in it i dont eat every week either. thinking i might want to look at adding it back to the table instead of always using kosher or sea salt. i see lack of iodine leads to leads to weight gain and lethargy, im always fighting weight gain and wonder if thats part of the problem nowadays
    fukahwee maine

• reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    When I'm doing my chicken stock I do add "Fond de Poulet Gold". It's very low in sodium and adds great flavor to stocks. They have a seafood, beef and veal stock too.
    So an answer to your question. If a recipe calls for salt, I don't add it.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Back when I was a kid, I saw a person with a swollen throat, and asked my mother what it was. She said it was a "goiter." Later she showed me a home-ec book with an illustration marked the "Goiter Belt." We were pretty much smack dab in the middle (think Chicago-ish), and so I have always made sure to have a shaker with some iodized on the table. These days, its next to the salt-snob "Flur de Sel," but still gets a shake often enough.

As for the salt that is in the fast food, I worry more about whatelse it might come with.
  • Wow. That is astonishing.
  • fishlessman
    i keep a grinder with sea salt at home on the table, maybe should bring a shaker of iodine for at work
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    on second thought i could always salt down my beer like bordello does :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• LoneStarEgg
    LoneStarEgg Posts: 287
    You could eat more shrimp or other sea food. Here is a link that may also provide other sources of iodine. There is a chart way down in the article.
    http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/minerals/iodine/
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    hey fish it seems to me that you may need to try something.. a few years ago i was telling a fellow who worked with me that i had a sore throat. he told me an old wives tale of a solution. take iodine you can buy from the drug store (about $1). place a quarter sized iodine mark on your wrist. wait for it to dry and go to bed. the next morning the make is gone... i thought he was full of it!!!! but being cheap i went and bought a jar and tried it. it actually works! and since i am in the business to take care of my throat ;) i usually keep some on hand. i am sure f you are worried about it give my way a try once a week and i think your worries will go away with out having to change to many habbits ;)

i am not saying it will cure throat cancer or anything else that is severe but for a sore throat i always pull out the bottle of iodine and put some on my wrists.. and now they have the non staining the sheets kind :laugh:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 63
    Curiously, this is the most interesting thread I've seen on the forum for quite a while. I congratulate you on avoiding prepared foods and the like. On the other hand, wasn't it exactly the situation of home-prepared foods (although probably for reasons of cost rather than choice) that finally led to the addition of iodine to table salt?

That said, I just googled "goiter" and what I see is that too little iodine leads to loss of weight, not a gain. You might want to look into it a bit further.
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    you guys have me freaked out!... i have been using kosher salt for decades... i just mixed a shot of iodine that has been in my medicine cabinet from the 50's/// i mixed it with a shot of brandy...Phew! ...... i feel better already!... lol....rr
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    eat a hot dog .... forget the old saw about the apple.... lol you'll get enough salt to grow a set of antlers....
  • WAY interesting topic!
    I haven’t given this much thought at all.
    I too, cook with none or very little salt added to most everything I do.
    When I brine or can…I use canning salt and that has no iodine added.
    So, if I use very little in cooking and most often never add at the table (BTW, the shaker is filled with iodized sea salt) I wonder too.
    When I see her again, I’ll have to ask Mrs. Potatohead her opinion. She’s the “food service, dietary certified” one in the house…I just do the cooking!
  • Liquid iodine supplement is really inexpensive (typically kelp derived). Just take the recommended dose of 150mcg/day and you'll be fine.

That's what i do, anyway, as I've cut out processed foods entirely. (Paleo, ftw.)